shopping list to start casting?

ophidia

My father, who is new to reloading, wishes to start casting bullets. I've been reloading for a few years but haven't gotten into casting (yet).

Anyway, could someone put together a "shopping list" for me? I'm not sure what all is needed but would like to be able to help him get started. Price is an object and assuming it's reliable Lee is perfectly acceptable.

He's thinking 300 gn bullets for .44 magnum and 405gn for 45/70.

Thanks!

Cast Boolit Forum

ophidia,

Hang around these guys for a while. They can answer questions, and get you started. They also have group buys for things like molds, gas checks, alloy and several members make stuff you'll need like boolit lube, mold handles, flux and other stuff.

Read old posts that sound interesting. You will learn a lot.

I shot commercial cast bullets for many years before I stumbled onto these guys. I started casting about 13 months ago and managed to turn out some good bullets in weights and designs that are simply not available commercially.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

The very first thing I would do is get a copy of either the Lyman or RCBS cast bullet Manual. I have the Lyman but I use lyman molds. Which gives most of the loads for there bullets. The Manual will explain in detail what is needed. I am not going to go into detail. But there is quite a lot of information you will need to go along with the equipment. RCBS molds are a little more expensive than Lyman. Lee molds are a lot cheaper. And a lot of guys use them. I have in the past and just don’t care for them. But starting out. Lee Would probably be your best bet. Lyman and RCBS you are talking about. $250.00 start up. Lee with Tumble lube about $80.00. Either way I would get one of the above Manuals to get the basics down.

Its funny how you turn into a lead junkie . I find my self on the hunt for it all the time. Parking lots, tire deales. scrap yards.

most everything you can buy off of midwayusa...

list
Lee furnace... aprox $32
lee bullet molds.. $20
find out too if you will need gas checks
Lee dipper $3

a large cast iron pot is nice to make lead into smaller more managable sizes by then using a muffin pan to mold them. and a large ladle to scoop.

as far as getting lead, you can use wheel whieghts or if you really want to get good stuff you can buy some wiedeners shooting supply has got some decently price lead.

do buy a lyman cast bullet or lee modern reloading book. makes it an easier tranistion.

as far as safety gear... discount saftey gear is fairly cheap. depending on how safe you wanna be a respirator is optional but thick gloves and googles are essential.

there is also a casting sticky i beleive on the bullet casting forum on this site that will give a good overview on it all... good luck!

Don't forget youtube also. I watched many good videos on "how to do stuff" and when I stumbled upon the bullet casting, that is what got me first interested in it.

Back