Shootout in America's Safest City

Covert Mission

For your reading enjoyment:

At the range the other morning, I had some time to kill (the IDPA make-up match had been cancelled), and so was shooting the bull with one of the guys who runs the place. "Doug" and I were talking self-defense, and he said "Well, the last time I was in a shootout..." I interrupted. "How many have you been in?", I said, somewhat surprised. "Well, a couple, but I'll tell you the best one."

Now Doug is not a BS'er. In fact, he's a straight shooter in all senses. He told me this story, and I have no doubt about it. I read many of the "It Happened to Me!" columns in the gun magazines and the NRA pubs, but this 1st person story ranks up there with the best of them. Here goes. It's long, but good, imo.

Doug lived in the city of Simi, CA at the time. About 2:30 one morning, his 18 yr old daughter woke him up, saying "Dad, there1s a man in the back yard!" The back yard was fenced in. He told her to get her Glock 17 , and said he was going down to check. "Remember the password?" he asked her, as she stationed herself at the top of the stairs, behind cover. She repeated it, and he went downstairs to look out the windows. He flipped on the floodlights in the back yard... no one there. Hmmm. He checked the side yards. Empty. Then the front... no one. Strange. He grabbed his Glock 23, and before going outside, he told his daughter to call 911, and to tell them they have a prowler, and how he was dressed.

The city of Simi has for years been named in the media as being the safest or one of the safest cities in America. The police response time is 3-5 minutes or close to it, and the city is full of LA-area police, sheriffs, and federal LEO's who live there because it's safe. Still, not crime free. What place is?

So, Doug cautiously moved out his front door, and from behind a low wall, did a sneak 'n peek in front. He's an ex-Army Vietnam combat vet...cautious. As he stood there, he see's first one, and then another guy come down his neighbor's driveway, from the back yard. They then went to the next house and down the drive to the back. In a second, they came back to the street, moving quickly. By this time, Doug had moved to the edge of his property, near some bushes next to the neighbor's yard, hoping to get a better description. As the two crossed the street 30 yards away heading to a parked car, they looked over towards Doug, and somehow spotted him. Immediately, he saw the muzzle flashes, and heards rounds whizzing past him. These a-holes were shooting at him! As they sprayed rounds at him, he dove for cover behind a tree, and then returned fire. One guy doubled over, and went down hard. Doug went prone, and as the other guy tried to jump over the car, Doug fired, the guy went down, and then got up and hobbled away. Doug was pretty sure he hit him too.

Doug ran back to his house, yelling the password as he ran inside. "DID YOU CALL 911?" he yelled to his daughter. "I'm on the phone with them now! They're all at a bad car wreck on the other side of town," she said. "TELL THEM SHOTS WERE FIRED!" he told her (of course, she knew). He made sure the house was locked up, and then sat down to collect his wits. Within minutes, it was a siren symphonyS. Simi cops, Sheriffs, CHP, ambulances roared up to the scene.The cops came in, and first wanted to make sure he was OK, insisting that he wait for the paramedics to check him out. They got a description of the missing suspect... the other one was still in the street, gutshot... and it matched the description an FBI agent down the street gave them. The cops knew immediately who he was and where he lived; they had been looking out for him ever since he got out of prison weeks earlier. They knew where he lived, and dispatched the SWAT team there.

The paramedics found Doug's BP to be normal. Very cool under fire. He's been shot at a lot (thank you, VietNam). Detectives showed up. One asked Doug for a statement, and then said "Listen closely. I need to ask you a very important question. Were you in fear for your life?" "Of course", Doug replied. "They were trying to kill me!" The detective said "That's all I needed to hear," and left. The paramedics transported the gutshot perp. He died in the ER, only to be revived, and after 3 surgeries at taxpayer expense, he is still alive, wearing a colostomy bag. The police who were guarding him at the hospital were VERY pissed that the doctors saved him.

The next day, the cops called again, asking Doug to come down to the station. "Do I need a lawyer?" he asked. "No way," said the detective. So he went down to give another statement, and learned some interesting things. Both these BG's were gang members from nearby, both in their early 20's, I think. The one who had just gotten out of prison is the one Doug thought he wounded. He did— shot him in the leg and blew up his knee. The SWAT team caught him later that night at his mom's house, moaning and bleeding, the Tek-9 under the bed. The other one, the gutshot one, had committed his first violent offense at age 12, and both had arrest sheets as long as your leg.

As the kneecapped one lay in the hospital (he eventually got an artificial knee with the taxpayers' dime), detectives interviewed him on tape. They couldn't wait to share the results with Doug. During the interview, they had asked the BG what the two were doing. "Robbing houses," he said. "You mean with people at home, sleeping?" "Yeah. Why not?" was the reply. "Well, what if someone had awakened while you were there?" the detectives asked. "We'd have killed them," he said, stone cold serious. This statement, on tape. Couldn't be better for the trial. The cops let Doug know that he had stopped two very dangerous thugs, and thanked him. Turns out that their guns were stolen in another robbery, as was the car they were driving. They had fired almost 40 rounds at him in seconds.

Doug then got a call from the DA's office. "Can you come down?" So, he did. The Dep. DA immediately put him at ease. She said "I want you to know, there will be no deals, no pleas. I'm going for the maximum, and consecutive sentences, for every charge I can think of." Doug was thrilled. She continued, "And if I could, I'd give you a medal." She kept her word. He only had to testify once, they used the incriminating tape interview in both trials, and both guys got roughly 40 years consecutive, with parole eligibility not for 20 yrs. They will be middle-aged before their 1st shot at parole.

Later, some of the Simi cops called him up to invite him to dinner, on them. No medal, but a nice gesture anyway. The moral of the story, much to the gun grabbers' chagrin, is multiple: 1) even in the safest city in America, crime happens. 2) Dial 911 in the safest city... with normal 3 minute response time... and it's your lucky day, all the cops are across town at a big car wreck. You're on your own. 3) Those nice allegedly rehabilitated criminals go right back to work doing crime, often within weeks of release. 4) if you don1t draw the line in the sand, they WILL find a victim. Maybe not you, but someone. Who knows if those two might not have killed someone even later that night? It was a matter of time. 5) Without a gun, you're toast in many situations.

Thank for the good work, Doug.

signed, Covert

[This message has been edited by Covert Mission (edited December 21, 1999).]

EXCELLENT idea about the password! We used something like that in the military, but I'd never thought about using it for the family... thanks!

Great post... just goes to show the importance of preparation, training and practice...

(But tell him if it happens again... to try to shoot them enough so that they DON'T walk away... now the as*holes are wasting our oxygen and taxpayer money) <smile>

------------------
Stand against evil, lest evil have its way...

The bad thing he prob would be in trouble in Minnesota. Some D.A.s would say he went outside in order to shoot someone so he couldn't claim self defense. We have a requirement to retreat if it is safe to do so. I have looked into this area a few times over the years. "Talked to a lawyer who specializes in this area." He "ordered" me that if any situation happens with a firearm. To say only my name, address, phone# ask "am I under arrest?" if not walk away and tell them I will be back with a lawyer the next business day! I was told no matter how right I knew I was NOT to talk to the police. I hate that idea but it is the same advice I have gotten from other sources. I am glad he wasn't hurt/charged but "from what I have been told" in some areas he would have to prove the situation. I know this sounds stupid I had to go to a number of sources before I could consider it... I have had two incidents where "deadly force" could have been justified. I was able to difuse the situation and one possible BG turned out to be a STUPID college student playing a practical joke. :( I have gone over this with other LEO/lawyers and was told odds are it would have been justified based on what I "knew" at that time... BUT I would have been on national TV/papers as the killer of a innocent, playful, future pres child....

Now that's a nice bedtime story. Good post.

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

Larry,
Good advice... I've also asked/heard about this...

HOPEFULLY, none of us will EVER be faced with a deadly force situation, but we all DO live in the real world, so its possible...

One LEO I knew suggested that, if a shooting DOES happen, you say that you were in fear for your life (or the life of my daughter, etc)

Assuming that you did everything right - meaning that the shooting was justified, etc - then it is VERY difficult for the courts to say what "in fear for your life means". What it may mean for me, will be different for you.

Bottom line is that you should KNOW, before anything happens, what do do in a deadly force situation...

there are other posts that address this issue... look through them...

------------------
Stand against evil, lest evil have its way...

Larry_Minn,

re:"the bad thing he prob would be in trouble in Minnesota. Some D.A.s would say he went outside in order to shoot someone so he couldn't claim self defense. We have a requirement to retreat if it is safe to do so."

We have essentially the same laws in CA. Doug did everything right though, imo. He didn't go outside looking for a gunfight. He went out to do recon... to observe what was happening and be a good witness/neighbor. Fortunately, he was smart enough to know that things don't always go as planned, and that he might have to defend himself, and so carried his Glock.

I don't think that he would have gone outside had he known what would happen. NOBODY I know wants to have two guys open up on them, and have to dodge a hail of lead. When they did, he couldn't retreat safely, so he returned fire. He was on his own property, and was responding to a lethal threat against himself, so it was judged to be a proper response. Fortunately, he won and they didn't.

Heartwarming, tear-jerking, sob-rendering good guy wins and goes home story. Could have been a Western.

I've seen several BGs saved for another life of crime and it makes me sick. The most miraculous example was when some BG got shot in the heart, the bullet bounced off the aorta wall and sealed the entry wound, saving the BG! Big G upstairs musta figured that that particular BG's time wasn't up yet.

Covert Mission: great story, Chalk one up for the good guy's! Larry; great advice on using your head after deadly force encounter where ever one might live.

Thanks for the great post. Until we live in a society where public officials -- across the entire nation -- act as those in Simi did, we will have a serious crime problem.

Good Guys: 2
Bad Guys: 0

Great story. I honestly hope that I never get to tell one like it about myself, but have been preparing just in case. As you say, it CAN and DOES happen, even in "nice" cities. And I don't really live in a "nice" city right now, though the Friday night gun fights have pretty much ceased.

Hats off to your friend. Wish him well and thank him for making a difference next time you see him.

Not only is it good to hear about Joe Citizen going home safe and in one piece, but it is so damn good to hear about the LE's that handled the case. I sometimes badmouth the LEs, but I know that "most" of them are A ok.

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

Back