Shootout: CZ452, Ruger 10/22, and Savage Mark II

Yeah, I know. I, for one, was a little disappointed after all the Savage Mark II hype....and I wasn't rooting for the CZ452 myself because the trigger, even lightened up, still is lousy. Man, an Accutrigger on a CZ would be nearly the perfect rifle. I've got to look into one of those Rifle Basix triggers.

About 7 years ago, when looking for a youth .22 with a clip, I thought CZ's might be alot of hype but I took a chance and got my son a scout. Turns out it wasn't just hype.

CZ452 myself because the trigger, even lightened up, still is lousy.

I just bought a CZ452 Trainer and the trigger is actually pretty good. Not gritty at all.

I have been drooling over a bolt action .22 and the LGS just had one on the wall and I bought it.

I put 10 shots in an area about the size of a half dollar at 50 yards with the irons and hit the 200 yard popper 3 out of 5 attempts.

I was not going to put a scope on it but now I really want to see what the rifle will do.

I have ordered a classic steel tube Weaver K4 and it should be here on Wednesday. Should have it ready to go on Friday. Had to settle for a duplex crosshair. Would have preferred a fine crosshair like I have on another Weaver K4.

I put a K6 on a Marlin 39a and it is a little too much scope for that rifle for my use.

I am impressed with the rifle.

good to hear, nothing I dont already know.

Bloody love my 452 FS, threw a 4x scope on it and wow what a riot.

Pro tip- get a Yodave trigger spring kit and fix that thing up in 20-30 minutes. the trigger is the only thing I didnt like

I bought a CZ 452 American about 4 years ago the trigger was good at 3lb. I put a adjustable sear in It and set It to 18oz. wow breaks like glass. 5 shot groups avg. .375" at 50yds.

They are worth every penny. I love my 110 and 12 and they are ridiculously accurate so I was all set to get a Mark II. I kept hearing about the CZs but hadn't seen one. Well, I went to pick up a Mark II and surprisingly, they were sold out so I looked around a bit, picked up a Remington model 5 and quickly handed it back. Then, I spotted the CZ. They handed it to me and that was that. The difference was very noticeable. It felt like a rifle and I walked out of there with it. I spent more but have never regretted it for a second. It shoots nearly anything well, lots of ammo very well, and it's favorites extremely well. I rarely shoot it at less than 100 yards and it will shoot sub moa at that distance. One particular time at the range, my buddy was shooting his 7 mag and I decided to mess with him. I was using Winchester subs that the rifle loves. Right after he shot, I shot. After a few shots, he realized what was going on and the look on his face was priceless. I was shooting at his bullet holes at 100 yards and the CZ was hitting them. That was fun.

geetarman, Yes I have a Leupold VXII 3-9x33EFR scope mounted with Talley rings.
DSCN0222.jpg

DSCN0064.jpg

DSCN0062.jpg

CZ

WOW, I could have written the original post!! I have exactly the same rifles and have had exactly the same results. The CZ 453 American w/set trigger will shoot rings around the others. As an aside mine will shoot the Federal Auto Target .22 ammo VERY accurately and it cost about $15 for 375 rounds. I only shoot at 25 yards and all the rifles will shoot "one hole" groups at that distance. But they are enlarged ie dime size. The CZ at 25 yards will shoot an entire magazine through the same hole with almost zero enlargement. All my .22's are accurate enough for any practical use. Also I must concede the Ruger 10/22 Target (while the least accurate) is the MOST FUN to shoot. The Ruger is also the one I'd choose even to hunt with. I really can't imagine a .22 being more accurate than the CZ. Some day I'll buy an Anchutz just to see.

My steel tube Weaver K4 came in yesterday along with the CZ rings.

The standard rings put the scope a little low so it must be moved forward so the bell will clear the rear sight.

I think I have the eye relief just about right and the scope is far enough forward that it does not hit anything.

I put the laser bore sighter in it and have it pretty much dialed in to get on paper.

Friday is my normal range day but I am really thinking about taking a trip in the am to try it out. . .after all I AM retired and CAN go to the range more than once if I want:D

Back