Shooting with non-dominent eye!

Prof Young

Had right eye cataract surgery couple weeks ago. It's healed, and I am waiting for the new lenses for my spectacles. In the meantime, with my glasses on, my distance vision is blurry. At the range this morning it was just too blurry to have satisfying shooting. I switched to my left eye, non-dominent, and lo and behold, I didn't do too bad. In fact, I'd say I shoot as well through my left eye as my right. Of course, we are only talking seven yards with hand guns here. I shot 1911-45, my Sig p238 and my beretta bobcat 22. I as normal or better with all three guns.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Life is good.
Prof Young

My right eye is almost useless, so I had to switch to me left one. I fire pistols right handed, and long guns left handed, and I have done it that way, all of my adult life.

I have shot big bore single actions since the late 70's. Rams, chicken's 10 1/2" barreled .44's with Elmer Kieth loads etc etc back in the day and still enjoy them with steel plates in my backyard. I'm 75 and a decade ago I went to shooting with both eyes open and have done quite well.

Which eye?

Right hand dominant but right eye vision is poor.

I compete in PPC and shoot right handed but use my left eye. A red dot is a life savor! All my comp guns have them.

As for rifles, a scope helps a great deal.

Unfortunately, shotgun shooting is a thing of the past for me.

Good luck.

Back