Shooting when cold

WESHOOT2

Match Sunday in beautiful Vermont. Will be 20F, guns will puke, banter will fly, Glock owners will stare in disbelief, fired cases will stay till spring, noses will be red, I won't win again.

But we'll be havin' serious fun!

-------------------------------

"all my ammo is Artic-rated ammo"

You read my mind. It is to be 35 degrees and spitting snow. USPSA three gun match will be more a test of endurance. Oh my...snow shooting with AR-15, tact shotgun and 1911. All of my usual alibis will change to:
Snowflake got in my way.
Snow blindness
Magazine froze in receiver
Reindeer ran over the target
Steel target did not go down cause it is frozen
I thought Santa was a "no shoot"!

Arctic Rated Ammo?

Greetings from Ancorage, what powder would you recommend for the 454 Casull in below zero temps? BTW, why would the Glock guys have problems..or anyone for that matter? It's finally snowing! henry

Taking a date to tomorrows match. 45 and wind. IDPA first and then a side Carbine match. She is looking forward to shooting the Bushmaster. If she makes it through this one, she is a keeper. :D

Bubba

Move South, Spend less on Jackets & Coats!

Woke up this morning to a LD phone call from a cousin stationed in Germany. He was quite amused when I said it was cold in the house (75 degrees)!

Good luck to you guys!

Gator

I shot an USPSA match in Dubois, Wyoming today. It was -4 when I left the house. When started shooting it was 15 degrees with a 20 mph wind. Had a great time anyway, and only one guy had pistol trouble.

Ah yes, cold snow and freezing rain.

This is when your shotgun and rifle should still work flawlessly. A good 870 shotgun was designed to sit in a muddy duck blind in cold weather.

As to rifles for such work.. well Sgt. Kalishnikov did not grow up in sunny Southern California. His rifle was designed to shoot in any condition. Rain, sleet, snow,mud, dirt, rocks, rust, etc etc.

When its cold and drizzly you should keep your pistol under wraps until you are ready to shoot it.

Back