Shooting video with ipad

jag2

I was thinking of setting my ipad on the shooting bench, just propping it up so its aimed at the target board. It would only be a foot or so away from the pistols barrel tip. So my question is would the shock wave from the barrel perhaps damage the mic? Would the noise just be too much? Most of the shooting videos I see are usually shot from behind and to the side. Anyone have any experience to share?

We tried the same thing and nothing got damaged. However we noticed that the shock from both .308 and a 300WSM with a brake creates a visual distortion that is rather cool in slow motion. I don't know if it's the air bending the light, or if the lens is getting distorted. I think there is an audio compressor in them that protects the delicate bits.
-SS-

Don't know much on the subject , but I watched a video " 10 most funniest shooting video's " where this guy with a cowboy hat shot himself in the leg, what an A H .It would be a good aid in watching shooting form. Kept at a workable distance should be a problem.

Instead of the IPad , have you considered using a smart phone attached to your spotting scope? Digiscoping is a term used by bird watchers where they use a spotting scope and a digital camera to take pictures of birds from a long distance and depending on the quality of the scope the pictures are pretty amazing.

There are attachments you can buy for your smart phone that will attach to your spotting scope, allowing you take a picture or a video of your shooting without having to worry about muzzle blast.

Just my 2 cents, good luck and happy shooting.

Back