Shooting the Dave Crispin custom longrifle

duelist1954

In this video I'll be shooting the beautiful, custom flintlock longrifle built for me by Dave Crispin. This is a gorgeous early styled rifle with Northampton County influences. At its heart is a .50 caliber Coleraine "B" profile, swamped barrel and a Siler lock. It is so much lighter and faster handling than my “C” profile .54 caliber rifle…it is phenomenally well balanced. This gun handles like a dream.

I know that there are people who will say that the Bucks County School dates from the 1790s and later, and that’s where the classic examples are from. However, I have found earlier Bucks County guns.

I had Dave pattern this build around two originals. The first is on page 22 of Shumway’s “Longrifle Articles Vol 1”, which is a collection of his “Longrifles of Note” column for “Muzzle Blasts” magazine. Shumway dates this gun to the period 1760 to 1780. It featured a sliding wooden patchbox, though the cover is lost.
The second rifle is in “Rifles of Colonial America Vol 1” it is #65, which Shumway dates as likely to be 1780, though it could have been made in the 1790s.
I had Dave Crispin pull features from both rifles. Dave Keck profiled the blank for this build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyJ_T8Z7-A

Nice looking rifle.

I'm going to learn how to post pictures. I've been restocking a Ruger 10/22 and unlike my classmates who are more orthodox (OK, one lady's 10/22 has a huge ivory nose on hers, ivory grip cap and ivory butt plate spacer and another classmate's 10/22 is making his look like a Winchester Lever Action), mine has a flintlock stock with relief carving, shadow line around the action and a brass trigger guard and patchbox (made from scratch) and a brass buttplate (Harper's Ferry from ToW). My barrel is half round. :p Other classmates are stocking Mauser 98s, Rem 700s, Savage 99. A couple of doing synthetic stock sniper rifles.

Back