Shooting Steel

boudreux

When shooting steel targets, what keeps the rounds from coming back and hitting you or hitting the ground and richocheting back and hitting you or someone else. When i watch on tv they seem really close to the targets and they don't worry about it. What am i missing?

Bullets don't Ricochet in real life like they do on TV. You'd really be surprised at richochets. First, if you are anywhere near 90 degrees from the target you have little to worry about. If close, and the steel target is pitted you may get some back splash, but eye protection will take care of any serious problems.

Now lets look at ricochets: When I was a LE firearms instructor, combined with my work in CSI I wanted to find out about Ricochets. Gen Hatcher had differant ideals then what people learn from TV and Movies.

First off, you shoot a bullet at 45 degrees to the ground (hard surface) it will not come off the ground at 45 degrees. It will come off the groud at an angle then level out 8 -12 (about) and travel along a horizontal plane.

Try this. Go to a range that has a concrete walkway (for frozen ground). Set you target on the ground. At 25 yards shoot toward the target aiming, allowing the bullet to hit about 2/3s between you and the target. You'll see the bullet will hit somewhat low, 8-12 above the ground. Do the same thing hitting the ground about half way between the target and you. It works the same way shooting at vertical walls. The round will travel down the wall, not bounce off it.

This comes in handy when you are teaching Cops not to hug a wall when being fired at, or engaging targets hiding under a car.

Another thing I use to do. (showing off) when I'd visit my nephews in Arkansas. We'd go down to the creek and shoot cotton mouths. There was a slug of them. I had them convinced I was a regular male annie oakley. I seldum missed with a pistol. What I was really doing is aiming about 2-3 feet in front of the snake, the bullet would hit the water, travel just under the surface hitting the swimming snakes. It was harder to miss, and much easier then acutally hiting the part of the snake riding out of the water.

If you want to study Ricochets, get a copy of FIREARM INVESTIGATION, IDENTIFICATION, and EVIDENCE, Hatcher-Jury-Weller.

You'll really be suprised.

Mostly the bullets fragment. Usually, the steel plates get pushed back by the impact, so pieces do not come straight back. I have been hit by small fragments, and sometimes pieces rain down from adjacent bays.

Eye protection is imperative, and at a steel match, always look straight at the target so fragments hit the glasses and do not sneak around the side. The rules state a minimum distance, 7-10m depending on the organization and club.

Lee

Wow. I will add to what I said before, 7-10m for handgun and 100m for rifles. The slow motion in the video shows shrapnel bouncing back on the ground before nailing the guy. So, I would say hard to make up. Be interesting to know caliber and bullet type.

Always wear eye protection.

Lee

My slow dial-up would take forever to download so I can't check it out.

I have a pistol pit in the back yard with a bunch of steel. I have a steel bowling pin rack, ISPC size targets, etc.

In front of the steel the ground is covered with fragmented lead. I very seldom have a piece come back and hit me, but it does happen.

One time I went out there with a .22rf to shoot off a round that was laying around. I was about 20 yards from the target and shot it. The round riccoceted back and hit me in the face on the outside corner of my eye, it drew blood! This was the only time I didn't have my safety glasses on thinking its just a .22 and a good distance. Lesson learned! Don't ever shoot steel without glasses. A half an inch or so and it would have taken my eye.

Back