Shooting Steel With The Madsen M50

ACP230

I was able to get out and shoot my Madsen M50 last week.

I was shooting steel and the set was five targets on each side with a stop plate in the middle.
I shot against a handgunner a few times and beat them easily. I think the longer sight radius of the SMG and the peep sight made the difference.

Later in the evening, I shot off against two handgunners. I had nine targets and a stop plate. They had 10 and the stop plate. (One of my targets was "scared off the stand" when I started rocking and rolling.)
The handgunners beat me by three plates with the good guy doing most of the work. I had a little problem with glare in the middle of my run and missed a plate.

I expected that. Dealing with recoil from FA fire takes time, even shooting 9mm. I found the exercise interesting. It left me wondering how I'd do against a shotgunner and a handgunner.

Loud fun was had by all.

Congrats on your M50, ACP230!

I have a Brazilian made variation of the M50 called a M953 that, among a few minor differences to the original design sports a MAJOR one: it's chambered in the good ol' 45 ACP! :D

Inasmuch the larger -better perhaps? :rolleyes: - round does speak in a throatier voice, you are indeed right when affirming that the recoil takes some 'getting used to.

I have not shot any 9mm Madsen SMGs of similar design, but the heavy open bolt moving to and fro does present a challenge to fine marksmanship. However, being a SMG -at least in the classical sense- what it actually is, i.e. a short range weapon, it's not that bothersome.

Besides, a good challenge now and then helps a lot to steel one's resolve! :p

I have known about the Madsens in .45 ACP for a while.
They are on my list of "Guns I want to shoot!"

One of the advantages of the 9mm is cheap ammo.
I reload for my .45 subguns, but buy cheap surplus ammo for the 9mm.

Back