Shooting someone else's reloads?

ghbucky

My neighbor got some of my orders delivered to his house (reloading and shooting stuff) and he brought them to my door with a gift of 125 9mm and 60 .223 reloads.

They are well labeled, and the labeled data showing is well under listed max.

It is certainly a lovely gesture, and I'm excited to find I have a new shooting buddy 2 doors away.

But I've never had this happen before. Is there any kind of rule of thumb about shooting someone else's reloads?

Don't.

That said, though, if you really know a guy and his methods and totally trust him, that will reduce the risks, at least.

--Wag--

I'm sure everyone will tell you don't do it!

The reason being is that if something happens, you really don't have a way of protecting yourself. I hate to say it that way but that's the world we live in.

If you bought them from a big box store and one of the rounds blew up and ruined your rifle... you could work something out with them, one way or another.

If you use the neighbors reloads and one blew up in your gun... what recourse do you have? He could give any number of excuses.

That's why you never shoot someone else's reloads. So unless you were standing there helping and saw that everything was done correctly, I wouldn't do it.

Agree, with limited exceptions

Don't.
Is there any kind of rule of thumb about shooting someone else's reloads?

That is the general rule of thumb. However, there are exceptions and the issue, is one of trust. I have a friend who got out of loading a particular bullet as he sold the firearm. I know him and trust in his skills. In fact, he is very particular and proud of his reloads. I also purchase ammo from a private commercial loader. This are about the only reloads I trust. In the end, it's your call. :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!!

The rule of thumb is "Don't" It's a bad idea. However, there are worse ideas. You'll need to judge the risk for yourself; you know the guy better than we do. :)

Funny that this thread came up today. Yesterday I did just that for the first time. I recently bought a used BR rifle chambered in a wildcat cartridge which came with 50 formed cases, 15 of which were loaded. The other 35 had been once fired so I decided to take a chance and use the 15 loaded for zeroing the scope. I was pretty nervous on that first shot but all went well with no pressure signs. Still I would not recommend it as a normal practice

Thanks all. That makes sense.

I guess I'll pull the bullets and load them myself.

While I never shoot reloads from unknown sources, there are several folks that reload, whose reloads I trust as much as my own. If the boxes are well labeled and the loads are well below max(and well above squib), then you are down to questioning the guy's technique/procedures and his level of responsibility. Unless I was desperate for bullets, I wouldn't pull them until I knew the level of which your neighbor reloads to. He may well be better at it than you and those boxes of his ammo, safer than any you make. Seeing as how you have just discovered he is a"gun guy", maybe a trip to the range together or a night together in the reloading room would be a more productive use of time, than breaking down ammo, that more than likely, is perfectly safe.

I agree with Buck. Put his gift on the back shelf, get to know the guy, have a reloading session or two together and then go with your gut feeling.

If you know the guy, he acts legit and thorough in hid manners, shoot them - you said they were labeled and under max

As a general rule you probably shouldn't shoot the rounds other people loaded.

However, I would and have shot the reloads of two friends of mine, because I've known them a long time (one of them taught me the basics of reloading) and trust them and their work.

Thank your neighbor for the gift reloads, and tell him that the two of you should plan a range session to shoot them together. Then you can set then aside while you get to know him better.

heres the thing,

what were they loaded too? when you take into consideration the amount of variation in .223 reloading data, and the whole "since CIP makes .223 box labeled ammunition to the 5.56x45 pressure standard, can i use that reloading data"

First of all, nice gesture. But as a legit hand loader he should know better than to give away his handloads let alone let anyone shoot them. This right here makes me a little suspect of his experience level. I’d thank him, pull them down, then later on act as though you shot them fine and get to know him better. I know that’s a little deceitful but no point in alienating a possible friend, mentor, shooting buddy.

And yet lots of folks over the years have bought and shot "remanufactured ammo" which is nothing more than reloads in mixed headstamp brass and never gave it a second thought.

First of all, nice gesture. But as a legit hand loader he should know better than to give away his handloads let alone let anyone shoot them. This right here makes me a little suspect of his experience level. I’d thank him, pull them down, then later on act as though you shot them fine and get to know him better. I know that’s a little deceitful but no point in alienating a possible friend, mentor, shooting buddy.
Sounds like he is new to reloading, trying to make friends. Take him under your arm & welcome his friendship.

Shoot them them and be happy.
You can spend your life worrying about all sorts of dangers, or you can enjoy a gift - your choice.

ghbucky said:
Is there any kind of rule of thumb about shooting someone else's reloads?
As you can see from the variety of responses, the answer to your question is "No" -- there is no rule.

If you are comfortable that they are labeled correctly -- shoot 'em. If you're not comfortable -- break 'em down and reload them.

Back