Shooting rest....

Jiggy300

I have been thinking about getting a shooting rest for sighting in some of my rifles. I have it narrowed down to 2 brands, Hyskore DLX and Caldwells lead sled. Just wondering what everyone else uses or opinions on these 2.

I use the legs from old pants filled with rice for the front bags.

You can get 25 lb bags as Sam's Club for a decent price, and it's much lighter than sand.

Put it in the freezer for a few days to kill any insects

Old socks filled with rice make excellent rear bags

Try using rubber inner tubes for sand bags, ends can be tied off with hog rings. Better than cloth bags, moisture proof and don't slide around.

"...much lighter than sand..." 25 pounds is 25 pounds. snicker. Cat litter works too. The advantage of a sand bag is you can use range dirt and just carry the bag.

Since I reload a lot of shotgun shells, I use the heavy canvas bags the shot comes in. Sand is nice (keep in a plastic bag so moisture doesn't get to your gun), but just as good and a lot lighter is filling the bags with spent 209 primers, or lentils, barley, etc. These bags also make great door stops for the garage or shop.
I also have one of those orange-colored triangular base front rests that you can adjust. The suede bag on that has sand in it from three decades ago. Still works great also.

"...much lighter than sand..." 25 pounds is 25 pounds. snicker. Cat litter works too. The advantage of a sand bag is you can use range dirt and just carry the bag.
25 pounds of rice will fill more bags to a greater thickness than 25 pounds of sand.

One bag of rice can make several shooting bags, and it's cheaper to buy it in bulk quantities rather than using the 1 pound bags from most grocery stores.

I'm not going to move dirt in and out of bags every time I want to shoot.
The rice bags are sewn shut and remain clean

I did not like my experience with the lead sled. Good for taming recoil, but expensive and I didn't find it conducive to good shooting technique for me. I get better results with sandbags.

What are hog rings?
They are "C" shaped pieces of heavy wire that are crimped together with special pliers.

They can be used for multiple purposes, one of which is clamping in the end of a pig's nose to stop them from rooting

If you are interested in a nice bench rest check out witchitaarms.com. I bought one and the leather sand bags many years ago. It is awesome and not too expensive for a person with several rifles. I built a box to carry it and avoid damage.

Back