shooting rest help.

axis223

Hello guys.

I am very torn between a baldeagle and Caldwell rock front rest. I will mainly use it for punching paper, load development, etc and I'm interested in shooting an amateur 300yard matches monthly with a 223 varmint rifle. The bald eagle has windage and other adjustment but I'm not sure I need that? The rock doesn't offer the extra adjustments and is considerably cheaper at $65 and the bald eagle is $140 without a bag.

I have a hart rest and I only use windage adj when doing fine tuning of reticle placement. If you have a rear bag with rabbit ears, you should only need to adj for windage if you change your body position in relation to the rifle. Ideally the rifle should slide back from recoil, you slide the rifle back up to the stop on the front rest. If you are not back at same windage, then rifle is not parallel/square to rifle rests. You have a bind in the line of recoil. It takes practice to figure out. Get Tony Boyer’s book and another shooters book that has the last name of Ratigan. They discuss this in depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A Bald Eagle is heavier and more stable. If you shoot matches, it can help get a few extra points. If it's just for load development, either will suffice.

Back