shooting range design

tombread

I want to set up an outdoor range on our farm, for personal use. I have plenty of space and would think a 200 yard range sufficient for pistol and rifle target shooting. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to design and materials used for the target area-- how much dirt, height, etc? The area is low, alongside our creek and there are no houses in the sight line, nor are there any homes nearby-- the area is backed by woods. Noise is not a problem. I would be grateful for ideas, or sugggestions re: sources for range designs. Thought on target construction would also be appreciated. Thanks- Tom

How much do you want to spend and how much equipment (bull dozers, etc) can you lay your hands on. I set up a 250 yard range at the place we use to live. Cost for the backstop was about $150. or so.

It held up to two huricanes and would stop a Barnes-X .375 from 7 yards out. Now it wasn't a permanent backstop. By the time I had to move after 2 years it needed some work on it cause I believe the .375 would have made it through... but it still stopped all handguns bullets, and .223s.

If you want, e-mail me and I'll send you an explination on the constructions.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

My Dad and neighbor made one on his adjoining farm...the back stop was an 8 ft high by 10 foot "spread U" made of 3 layers of railroad ties. This was in front of a low spot that had about a 15 ft berm/slope. I was about 10 or 11 when they built it and it lasted up to 3 yrs ago when the neighbor sold and the new people got rid of it and planted grapes.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Back