Shooting my air rifle is teaching me a few things!!

Pond James Pond

Anytime I've gone to shoot a rifle at the range, I've generally gone for load development purposes and that usually means I'm choosing days forecast as still and clear.

But shooting on my land, I'm not so fussy and as such I've gained more experience of what a crosswind will do. In fact, crosswind, even a light breeze, really blows those pellets about.

I've also started experimenting with hold over/under. Being zeroed at one distance and shooting at that distance at the range means there's no need. Just put the sights on the intended POI and shoot.

But now, with targets out as far as 50m, I'm playing around at different distances despite my zero being set at one in between.

Anyway, whilst setting up my sights, I've managed a handful of 1" groups at 50m with a 4x32 scope and I'm enjoying every moment despite the sub-freezing temperatures!

When I was young, I spent a lot of trigger time with my pellet gun. It engrained a lot of basic habits (mostly good).
I know exactly what you mean about the pellets being affected by wind. I spent so much time with that rifle that I could visualize the path of the pellet.
The best shot I ever took (and probably ever will take) was not long, about 20 yards off hand through a 90 degree cross wind that was howling. I was shooting at a red winged black bird. I confidently aimed at absolutely nothing 6 inches to the right of the bird and hit it square.

Shooting pellet guns is still great fun.

What kind of air rifle. If you are running a spring gun at 50 yards and holding an inch that is FANTASTIC shooting.

Shooting real guns will not help you shoot spring guns but shooting spring guns will pay huge dividends when using a powder burner since they will teach you follow through like now other.

I use an airgun to practice my offhand shooting in the basement in the cold months. it really improves both my skill and confidence when I have to take an offhand shot hunting.

What kind of air rifle.

It’s a Hatsan Model 70 Vortex. This uses a gas-filled tube which breaking the barrel compresses to make the piston fly forward, rather than a spring. The model 70 is available as either that or a springer gun. They’re basically the same except that the gas tube can be left cocked.

Thanks for the appraisal but I want to reproduce that a few more time before I call it consistently achievable!

I think my new targets are not great. They seem to make it hard to get a consistent POI. I’m going to just draw a small black circle on the back as the front is too cluttered....

Last edited:
On my PCP gun (Daystate Harrier), I have come to really appreciate a Mil-Dot scope. I rarely have wind considerations when I shoot, so I use the dots mostly for pellet drop (or rise) compensation. I find the distance by focusing the scope, then determine which dot (or between which dots) I should use to aim. it's not real fast, but sure is accurate!

(Scope is a Bushnell Elite 4200 Rainguard Mil Dot 6-24x40)

The reason that you get such exaggerated wind and elevation differences is just velocity. a pellet at 800 fps + or - will have about 3 times as much drop or windage error compared to even a .22 lr. You will learn how to dope wind and distances, but you must never carry those same corrections to a high powered firearm.

but you must never carry those same corrections to a high powered firearm.

This was my thought. In actual fact, even what I learn on a .22LR, I can't carry to my .308.

What I do hope will happen is that I'll learn to become comfortable with hold-over and reading the wind.

yep. that's a plan. i used about a half a foot of holdover with one of my pellet rifles when popping starlings. that's a whole lot of misses at that range.

It’s a Hatsan Model 70 Vortex. This uses a gas-filled tube which breaking the barrel compresses to make the piston fly forward, rather than a spring. The model 70 is available as either that or a springer gun. They’re basically the same except that the gas tube can be left cocked.

Is it quieter than a springer? Does it act more like a PCP in that regard. I know my RWS 34 is loud; first the supersonic crack and then the noise of the spring makes me leery of using it in my backyard in my neighborhood.

Is it quieter than a springer?

Tbh, I don’t know but it’s not quiet so my guess is no or if it is, then only marginally.

I’ve just bought a carbine springer model that my daughter can also try. I’d compare with that but it’s from Hatsan’s Quiet Energy range so the comparison would be unfair.

Back