Shooting low

Rikakiah

Just took my USP40 to the range for the first time in probably 5+ years, just getting back into shooting (started with my .22 a month or 2 ago).

Set the target at 7 yards. First magazine was surprisingly on target with maybe a 2-3 inch group on the X, with 1 flier 7 inches low center.

Feeling confident, my next magazine wasn't as good. About half were still a decent group around the X. One was a couple inches high and left. However, the other 4-5 were 7 inches low, dead center again, all in a 1 inch group.

My next 3 magazines were quite similar, splitting the total between center mass and several inches low center.

I know I flinched when I got the high left, but what am I doing for the (very consistent) very low shots?

You may be pulling the muzzle down as you fire. But not always.
Try using a consistent sight alignment and picture. Bend your arms so they flex a bit. Draw from low ready and aim high or low and relax as you slowly align on target and squeeze the rounds off in perfect sync each time. Rise up and fire or drop down and fire instead of trying a stiff hold.

Aim higher?
Seriously, make sure your wrist is locked properly.
For one handed shooting:
The web of your shooting hand, between thumb and first finger, should be aligned with your forearm, and your thumb should be straight along the frame and pointing at the target.
If accomplished, you should feel tension in the forearm.

Here's an indepth discussion of the two handed grip.
http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/tactics_training_combatg_100306/

Last edited:
I know I flinched when I got the high left

And your flinching pulling the muzzle down as you squeeze or maybe in this case, ''jerk'' the trigger. You might not know it, but I bet you are. Your probably squeezing the grip harder also on your low shots.

Some more trigger time will probably go along way.;)

And your flinching pulling the muzzle down as you squeeze or maybe in this case, ''jerk'' the trigger. You might not know it, but I bet you are. Your probably squeezing the grip harder also on your low shots.

Oh, I knew I was doing *something*, I just actually noticed the flinch on the horizontal fliers. The tighter grip makes sense, since the gun was kicking more than I anticipated.

I guess I was just overconfident from my first group and lost some focus. After looking at the target again, it was a 1.5 inch group, with the flier about 4 inches south (it was the bottom of the 7 ring). I don't think I've actually shot that well even back when I was a bit more regular (rifles have always been more my thing).

Thanks for the advice, all.

Very common after a hiatus in practice with a high recoil pistol. The first group is OK, but as you begin to get "punished" a bit, you start to flinch. The answer, of course, is concentration on the sights and (yep!) more practice.

Jim

This maybe a possibility. I know every time I shoot low it is because I am looking over my sights. By that I mean I am trying to see the bullet impact. Just anonther thing that could cause you to be shooting low.

Maybe the gun shoots low. I've bought 3 semi-autos that shot low . Bought a taller back sight for the Beretta. Filed down the front on a Kimber. I'll probably have to replace the sights on an SR1911 because it has those blasted white dot sights on it and I don't think filing will work. All the other guns I have shoot to point of aim so it ain't me. Shoot a few hundred rounds thru it and make sure it isn't you then you can decide the best fix. Adjustable rear sights are the real answer, I just don't like them on the 92FS or 1911 guns.

Is that a DAO gun? My CW45 is a DAO gun and I must make a very concious effort to keep the front sight on the target throughout the long trigger stroke or shots will print low. Very low. Every new shooter who tries that gun will shoot low until they get trigger discipline. An SA gun like the 1911 is much more forgiving in that respect.

It's DA/SA, but I was doing SA only that day (even first round I would either rack the slide or manually cock the hammer). Pretty sure it was just extra pressure as the shots that I know were focused and comfortable went directly where my sight dot was. I'll bring my snap caps to the range next time and work more on control/flinching.

...what am I doing for the (very consistent) very low shots?
Flinching/anticipating recoil/yanking the trigger. Here's how you know that's what's happening.

At 7 yards, your pistol is capable of putting an entire magazine into a group smaller than 1". If you are seeing on target disparities between shots that significantly exceed 1", then it's all on the shooter. If your gun were really spreading shots over a 7 inch range of impact points at 7 yards (without shooter error), it would be pretty easy to find something obviously broken/screwed up on the gun. It would take more than a small problem with the gun to cause that kind of of on-target performance.

Flinching can be amazingly consistent when it happens--that's why you're seeing two distinct groups. One group is the result of not flinching (or flinching less) and the lower group gets built from the shots when you flinch.

Agree with the flinching assessment.

The .40 has that upward snap and it's very possible that after a few rounds you are anticipating that upward snap and pushing forward/down on your pistol when firing. Forcing the muzzle downward.

Back