Shooting Internet Explorer 5

John/az2

Alright, so the subject title is related to a gun, somewhat..... :)

For you computer types:

I am now running IE5 and have found that when I have more that one window of IE5 running and I go to the "favorites" and click a bookmark MOST of the time it will bring up that bookmarked site in SOME OTHER window other than the one in which I clicked it.

This is very iritating as I want the content of the bookmark displayed in the window that I click it in. So iritating, in fact, that I want to SHOOT my computer (another subtle reference to guns...). But before I do that, I wanted to seek your advice about this problem...

Thanks!

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..."

I am convinced there is some kind of bug in IE5. I have that problem too. Also with my outlook express, my fonts change on their own and I cant get attachments without having to save them. A few other friends have this problem also. I am thinking about uninstalling it and putting back in IE4!

Good luck!

Do you mean "favorites" from the START button or favorites from IE5?

One thing I appreciate about IE5 is that it starts a new IE5 process when you want more than one open. Starting a "favorite" from a place other than the IE5 favorites bar lets IE5 know that you want multiple processes.

I tried it before I completed the response. It opened new "windows" on everything but the IE5 favorites bar. I actually appreciate that, so I can go through multiple content as it loads.

John/Miss D: FWIW, I'm running on IE5 w/Outlook Express and have had no problems at all on this laptop like you have described. It appears to be working exactly like it is supposed to.

In the computer caste I am still one of the unwashed. However, some time ago I flushed IE and enabled Netscape as my default browser with no regrets. Still use OE for primary e-mail.

According to my resident computer wiz (my wife), Microsoft says IE5 has had problems with bad downloads. They have since rebundled and updated. It sounds like you might have missing files or a bad download.
You should be able to re-download and drop files as needed when installed. If this doesn't work, reinstall IE4.0 first and then the improved IE5. This can be done at www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp?

[This message has been edited by Don 3:16 (edited July 24, 1999).]

I don't have any experience with IE5.x, but I've been using Netscape 4.61 for several months now. Compared to previous versions of both browsers, the latest revision is very robust. I whole-heartedly recommend it.

Put it like this: I'm Netscape only. IE is an abomination, second only to AOL's browser.

I may use Win98, but I draw the line at IE. It's got some nice features, but overall I hate it, period. I won't even go into the MS business practises....

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

I dumped all MS products except the operating system. I use Netscape and Wordperfect ever since Gates donated $35,000 to the failed anti-gun initiative in Washington state.

Try this:

Tools>>Internet Options>>Advanced>>Launch browser window in a seperate process...

not only does it fix this bug (from what I've used) it also speeds up IE5. (works with 4 also under view options, etc.)

I would use Netscape, but I could not configure it to use a third-party e-mail program, so I found myself copying, and pasting a lot of e-mail addresses, instead of a one click operation.

I also appreciate that IE5 allows you to screen for content the sites visited. I did not find such an option in Netscape.

Maybe you guys can help me out with this, as I would prefer to use Netscape.

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..."

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited July 26, 1999).]

Gee, John. I'm not sure if this helps, but I personally use netscape's e-mail client. In fact, I have it so any other programs that requires e-mail is tied to it. So far, it's never been a problem. But alas, I can't recall off the top of my head how that was done. I'm sure some of the techies on here will chime in.

John,

If I'm reading you correctly, you want Nutscrape to use other clients' mailboxes and address books. Is that right?

If so, in Nutscrape, go to File/Import, and follow the prompts. I've gotten it to import Eudora stuff with no difficulties at all. MS Outhouse is supported as well.

------------------
A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil.
Vote Libertarian - For A Change.

I use Microsoft Outlook 98 for my scheduling, tasks, and e-mailing. I could find no way to connect Netscape with Outlook so that when I clicked on an e-mail address (in TLF, for instance) it would open up a "compose letter" window.

Even Netscape said that it could be done, but would offer no help on how to do it.

IE5 works just fine with it, and even though I have resisted using it for the longest time, I have finally become sick of all the copy and paste procedures I had to use with Netscape...

I hope that clarifies the question! :)

------------------
John/az

Back