Shooting handgun while wearing bi-focals.

Rover

Inactive
How do you focus? Before I wore glasses, I focused on the front sight, letting the target & rear sight be out of focus. To do that now, I look through the bottom of the glasses, tilting my head back.

I remember a time that I would have looked at this post and laughed. But now, I'm interested, not because I'm there yet, but because I know I soon will be!!!! :D

Rover, I don't have an answer for you, but I'm sure somebody on here does..... Oh yeah, welcome to the forum :)...........

------------------
RKBA
www.southernparty.org

Rover,

You'll probably want to get glasses set up for shooting. I use bifocals with the top set for computer/front sight distance and the lower for reading. Can't see the target really well, but the overall sight picture is the recommended--clear front sight, pretty clear rear sight and fairly fuzzy target.

I haven't really tested how effective this choice is and how my shooting skills figure here--only been shooting 19 months. I am able to keep most shots inside an 8" bullseye shootinga revolver fairly rapid double action offhand at 25 yards for whatever gauge that might provide.

Others have one lens ground for long distance and one for front sight. Interesting, but just the thought of dealing with two eyes focusing for different distances makes me tense. Will probably try it soon, though.

I otherwise wear progressive lenses and would not under any circumstances recommend them for shooting. You are always having to figure how far to tilt your head for the necessary focus. They are not anything approaching instinctive.

Rover this worked for me
Needing reading glasses I was unable to see the sights. So had my prescription ground in the top of the lens of my shooting glasses. Looking like a bifocal upside down. And now just drop my head a bit and focus on the front sight. Of course the target is not clear but works great.

I wear trifocals so I'm a step ahead of all of you.I leave the sights blurry and the target clear.Even with blurry sights if the blur is in the same spot all the time you will hit.I shoot 7 round groups under 3 inchs at 15 yards.Not any record breaking but I think good defense accuracy.
Bob

OK, what I have to say may be outrageous.

Take your glasses off and learn point shooting. Yep, take 'em off.

We've had some cops whose eyes are so bad that they can't focus on the front sights anymore. When some take off their glasses and point the gun (ala: Louis Awerbuck (sp?)), they actually shoot better.

Don't make it tough on yourself by using bullseye size targets. Go for a chest size target. Point shooting isn't marksmanship, but it's learning to shoot under stress and dim light conditions when you may not be able to see your sights anyway. Once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun too.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Also being a wearer of Bi-focals, I had the top lens ground for distance and the bottom for reading. Try to forget it and just shoot. That's what I did. Before long you'll get used to it and it will just feel natural. Shooting won't be a problem. BTW: I sight through the top lens. I don't think sights will be much help if you can't see what you're shooting at.

I wear progressive bi-focals and I haven't noticed any problem.Maybe my eyesight isn't that bad yet.

------------------
gun control is people control

I also use progressive bi-focals and they are great. I now can shoot as well as I did 10 years ago. I had planned to get lenses made specifically for shooting but I have no need for that now; faster sight alignment and less eyestrain too.

hi everybody! i am a doctor of optometry
and an avid shooter. for those who have
solved their problems good going. for those who are having problems you may
want to get a progressive bifocal. it works like a trifocal. if you do not want
the progressive then get a straight top
bifocal with the focus set at your sights
and have the bifocal measured higher than
for reading so that you can see your sights without having to tilt your head
back. so now you identify your target by
tilting your head slightly downward then
you raise your head up slightly and you
are into your bifocal automatically with
the focus set on your sights. boom-boom!!!

As an LEO and firearms instructor, I had to deal with this back in 1990. Obviously, if SHTF you can't call time out and go after your shooting glasses...You might try what's called a 'jeweler's spot' lens approx 3/8" in diameter, to be mounted in the upper left hand corner of your lens (assuming that your master eye is the right eye, and you are right handed). Have your optometrist set the focal length for that lens to the front sight distance. I went to bifocals in 1990 and have used this system with excellent results ever since, shooting from a Weaver stance. The idea came from an old Rifleman article. BTW, the idea of simply going over to point shooting would kill you in court when it came out that you didn't/couldn't use the sights properly. Kiss retirement goodbye...

I tried "regular" bifocals of different heigths, and also the progressive lenses. I never could get a consistent sight picture, and the point of impact varied with the two types of lenses. Then, as an exercise based on the idea I might not have time to put on my glasses if a BG broke in my house at night, I did some shooting with plain lens safety glasses, and discovered I can shoot much better without the corrective lens. If my eyes get worse, I may have to change, but for now I will use the plain lens glasses.

Back