Shooting Glasses with Eyeglasses

DMK

For those of you with eyeglasses, what do you use while shooting?

I've been just using my eyeglasses, but some recent threads are making me rethink the wisdom of that.

Using your own eyeglasses is fine as long as they aren't actually eyeglasses but are eyeplastics instead. However, I would seriously consider adding some clip-on side shields for the times you are shooting. They aren't absolutely necessary, but you might see the need the first time an errant shell pops in unexpectedly.

I told my eye doctor I was shooting and wanted some safety glasses. He had two kinds available. One was a black plastic frame and seriously dorky, the other was relatively modern looking but still a much larger lense than my regular bifocals. I wore them when shooting and sometimes other times. I also had them made as photo-grays, so I can just put them on and not worry about sunglasses. They were quite expensive, but worth it.

Some folks have special shooting glasses made with the reading portion of the bifocal at the top, but I shoot to practice self-defense, not for target shooting, so I don't want the focus to be in some weird place other than where it is on my regular glasses.

Even if your glasses are safe to wear, all it takes is one caseing to come back and "mar" them...alot cheaper to protect them and your eyes with safety glasses. I went to my eye Doctor and they got me a pair of safty glasses that had my prescription in them, expensive but alot better than putting my old safety glasses over my prescription ones. Finally ended up get "Lasic" surgery done, mucho gooder!:cool:

I don't know if I'm spelling this right, but I have "Estigmatism" in my right eye. It really screws up the precription because I have 20/20 in my left. As much as I'd probably need to, I don't wear glasses at the range. I figure it's good practice to shoot without them as you may not have the glasses in reach for the real thing so may as well get used to it. I use safety glasses myself but would like to look into getting a pair of precription Beretta shooting glasses. Anybody have an idea what the cost would run me. Can't find the info anywhere...:eek:

Personally, I just have bifocals. I sometimes shoot with these only. I do shoot without thesebecause: a) don't use the bifocal part to see sights on hand guns, b) I will have to raise my head off the stock for shottys. I have a great eye Dr, whom ordered the stick on magnifications for me to use on my Bushnells--don't need to see to shoot-just need to be able to read something.

I suggest one shoot without glasses--if they can for personal defense.

Some students that must have glasses to shoot, can use those inexpensive safety glasses and they fit with side shields "around " regular glasses. We stress safety on the range, eyes and ears a must. But we do recommend the CHL if one can-practice shooting without glasses do so Glasses can get damaged in a fight.

There is never ever any justification for shooting on a range without eye protection. If you want to shoot with your street glasses, fine; most are adequate protection against all but the worst of accidents. If you want to shoot with plano - non prescription - safety glasses so as to simulate losing your corrective glasses in a gunfight, fine. I do both for self defense practice. I wear overplus shooting glasses for competition. But always wear something. Or you might end up defending yourself with a white cane.

Mastrogiacomo - Do they have to be **Beretta** glasses? That seems to be taking brand loyalty a bit far.
Decot Hy-Wyd are the industry standard. Check them out at:
http://www.sportglasses.com/
http://www.sportglasses.com/pistol.html
http://www.sportglasses.com/frameset_2.html
Note that they grind glasses for pistol shooters that focus your master eye vision on the front sight; that is what I wear for competition.
Lenses are interchangeable so you could have a lens in your regular distance Rx for defensive practice.

They aren't cheap, so if price is more important than accuracy, at least get some store brand safety glasses to protect your vision.

I got the type of safety glasses that fit over your perscription eyewear. I went ot the hardware store and got some high impact rated ones, the kind that are reted for metal work. Other than the fact that they can get a littel foggy without the anti-fog spray, they work well.

I use to suffer from brass getting in between my glasses & me :eek: Muy HOT! :eek: To solve the problem, I sold that gun that was spitting brass straight back & I started wearing a baseball cap. The cap really does help to deflect wayward brass.

ANOTHER OKIE

I asked my optometrist to make me a pair of shooting glasses, "expressly to protect my eyes", and photo-gray if possible. He told me 'photo-gray' was not an option with plastic lenses; and that only glass can be 'photo-grayed'. (I'd forgotten that; I was told that before by a different optometrist.) This last set, and the advice, are 15 months old.

Last edited:
Wiley X shooting glasses makes an insert that you take to your eye doctor and he puts in you prescription lenses.The insert replaces the nose pice on Wiley glasses and sits just behind the actual shooting lense.I wear them and they're great.You can buy any other colored lenses and still use your prescription.

I got lucky, my work requires and pays for safety glasses, prescription safety glasses if needed. So they have side shields, are impact resistant, and I didn't pay for it! Available for $125 if I wanted to pay.

My wife wears contacts and then wears the normal shooting goggles over that. Seems to work for her.

I asked my optometrist to make me a pair of shooting glasses, "expressly to protect my eyes", and photo-gray if possible. He told me 'photo-gray' was not an option with plastic lenses; and that only glass can be 'photo-grayed'. (I'd forgotten that; I was told that before by a different optometrist.) This last set, and the advice, are 15 months old.

"Photo Greys" are glass lenses that darken with exposure to light. "Transitions" lenses are the equivalent in plastic lenses. I've been wearing them for several years.

I wear my regular prescription glasses when I'm shooting, and have never had a problem. I would never practice without glasses of some kind -- I've come too close to having stuff get into my eyes to chance it. I also wear a baseball cap or boonie hat to prevent brass from getting between my glasses and my face.

YMMV, of course.

I bought GOOD glasses...

Or, so I thought. The lenses had a new scratch-proof coating on them called "Crisal". (Maybe I spelled that right.) Anyway, to my surprise, it works! NO scratches are on my lenses. The plastic lenses were also supposed to be "shatter-proof". I paid extra to get these "top of the line" lenses. I've CONFIDENTLY worn them to the range on many occasions.
~Two weeks ago they fell off the lower level of an end table onto CARPET, while INSIDE their METAL case. A fall of no more than a foot and a half. I wasn't worried a bit. However, when I picked them up, the plastic lenses, where the temple piece connects to the frame had chipped. Just like they were made of glass! I'm not so confident any more. I'm downright scared! :( I need to find another way of protecting my "peepers".

KR

I usually wear just my glasses. Sometimes I will wear a pair of safety glasses over my prescription glasses if I will be firing heavy stuff.

You can get a good pair of ANSI rated safety glasses at Home Depot or Lowes that will fit right over your eyeglasses and give you side and top (rim to brow) protection.

They are relatively cheap, under $10 and clear and they look nice.

I have had enough pieces of errant bullet fragment hit me at the range to always wear safety glasses over my eyeglasses.

Back