Shooting glasses and ear protection

PJR

Do you use either while bird hunting? I prefer my target orange glasses when upland bird hunting. It helps me see the birds better particularly when hunting ruffed grouse in deep woods. Generally, I don't use hearing protection but know some who do. I like to be able to hear what's going on around me. The exception is when I'm waterfowl hunting from a blind with other shooters. The prospect of an entire morning of someone else's shotgun going off beside me (in addition to mine) has me reaching for the ear plugs.

Does anyone else do the same?

If I have a gun in my hand, I usually have glasses. For dove hunting I do keep a pair of plugs around my neck and at least have one in my left ear. (that's the ear closest to the muzzle) I always have shooting glasses with side protection and a long billed hat on while dove hunting. Had too many idiots shooting low birds....

Giz

Been cursed with needing glasses for the last 40 years, and all mine have safety lenses. I use plugs or muffs when dove hunting and shooting clays, but not in the woods.

And yes, my hearing is not good. I'm 54, with what my doctor refers to as 70 year old ears.

I always wear the glasses (have to have them) and I've started wearing sonic 2 ear plugs this year. I don't think they are as good as regular plugs but they let you hear what's going on around you and they are cheap if they get lost in the fields.

Back