Shooting Fun

Hunter Customs

Today I decided to shoot my 223 heavy barrel Savage, this rifle shoots 5/16 inch groups consistently when I do my job.

I have several different rifles I coyote hunt with so I like to practice with them to stay in tune with them.

North of me is 80 acres that is long and narrow, as a matter of fact from one end to the other is 894 yards.

I took a half gallon milk jug full of water hung it on a flower pot hook at 284 yards.
This is not really that long of a distance but I had a full value wind blowing 20 mph and gusting at times so I knew with out a solid rest the shot would be a challenge.

Using my cheat sheet taped to my stock I doped my elevation 3 MOA I did not dope my windage adjustment I just held into the wind an estimated 10 inches.

Using the side of my truck bed for some support I fired the first shot, shooting by myself I was unsure where my hit was, second shot the same thing, third shot I knew was a hit as I heard the smack.

I drove out retrieved the jug and my flower pot hook, the hit on the jug was right where it should be elevation wise but was right of center about an inch.

I was pretty happy with the out come as I still had a little bit of wobble even though the truck bed gave me some support.

I like shooting at different yardages in different types of weather conditions using various types of support as I feel it makes me more proficient with my rifles.

Sounds like a great time! I was shooting my savage 11 .223 last Saturday out to 500. I set up cinder blocks and held into the wind as you did. It was a humbling experience however once i knew where to hold i made hits every shot. Those savages are shooters

Those savages are shooters

Yes they are, one time I was a confirmed Remington man but Savage changed that.
I don't even give Remington's a second look anymore unless it's an older one at such a great price you can't pass it up.

I plan on shooting some longer yardages, the trick is to get my truck in the right position.
When I angle my truck right I can rest across the bed and the tail gate and get locked in almost as solid as shooting from a bench, that's what I'll do the next time.

In time I plan on shooting out to almost the length of the field.

Back