Shooting Fish in a Barrel Goes Hi-Tech

Karanas

Coast Guard Shooters Disable Boats

By David Briscoe
Associated Press Writer
Tuesday, September 14, 1999; 3:33 a.m. EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Coast Guard sharpshooter Charlie Hopkins focused a little red dot from his laser sight on the engines of a fast-moving boat in the Caribbean and fired three .50-caliber shells, stopping the
drug-laden craft at sea.

Hopkins, nicknamed ``El Diablo'' by his crewmates, is part of a previously
secret Coast Guard operation that has started to interdict drug boats in international waters. It is the first time the Coast Guard has been authorized to fire from the air at water craft since Prohibition in the 1920s,
when fixed-wing aircraft went after liquor smugglers.

Top officials of the Transportation Department, the Coast Guard and the
White House anti-drug office disclosed the new tactics at a news conference Monday outside the Transportation Department. They spoke in front of an MH90 Enforcer helicopter, one of several specially equipped commercial helicopters leased for the operation.

Coast Guard Commandant Adm. James E. Loy ruled out any chance that commercial fishermen or pleasure boaters will be targeted by the sharpshooters, who officials said are operating only in international waters south of Puerto Rico, Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Rules require identification and extensive warnings before aggressive tactics are employed.

``This special show is not going to be coming to a theater near you,'' Loy said as an assurance to private boaters.

And Hopkins, a petty officer second class from Winslow, Maine, said he fired only at the smugglers' engines in a successful assault Aug. 16. He got his nickname, Spanish for ``the devil,'' because his .50-caliber Robar rifle bears the packing number 999. ``Depending on which way you hold it, it
carries the sign of the devil (666,)'' Hopkins said.

``We're still humanitarian. We just want to stop the flow,'' he said in an interview. He said the helicopters carry life rafts for the smugglers in case a shot accidentally causes a fire or sinks their vessel.

Hopkins said his powerful rifle can hit a target from more than a mile away, but the helicopters hover much closer as they chase the open-hulled, low-profile ``Go-Fasts'' or ``Super Smugglers'' across the Caribbean. Officials say the drug-running craft are rarely armed, and none of the intercepted smugglers have fired on the helicopters.

Threatening action would allow Coast Guard sharpshooters to use defensive deadly fire in return.

Use of the small boats, which carry about a ton of cocaine and enough fuel to travel 700 miles, has doubled since 1996, officials say. They now carry more than 85 percent of all maritime drug shipments with an average
of a trip a day over the past year.

The sea encounters have led to capture of 13 crew members and netted more than three tons of cocaine destined for U.S. streets, said Barry McCaffrey, White House drug control director.

He said those and other operations in the past year brought cocaine confiscation to a record 53 tons, with a street value of $3.7 billion. More than 400 tons is estimated to reach U.S. shores each year.

``We have made the drug smugglers afraid. We will now make them disappear,'' McCaffrey said.

In addition to the Aug. 16 incident, helicopters stopped boats on Aug. 26 and on Sept. 3. An initial operation on May 28 frightened two smugglers into jettisoning their cargo before shots were fired but also led to their arrests.

Transportation Secretary Rodney Slater, who oversees the Coast Guard, said the effort dubbed Operation New Frontier will lead to other high-tech moves against drug smuggling. The Clinton administration is asking for
$17.8 billion to fight illegal drugs next year.

A Coast Guard background briefing provided descriptions of the dramatic encounters, and released videotape of two incidents showed helicopters as they stopped speeding vessels.

The use of nonlethal force also included machine-gun fire across boats' bows, use of a ``stingball'' that exploded into a shower of rubber pellets and deployment of a special net to entangle a boat's engines. Use of the
sharpshooter is a last resort to stop the boats.

© Copyright 1999 The Associated Press

The most interesting parts to me were:

"operations in the past year brought cocaine confiscation to a record 53 tons, with a street value of $3.7 billion"

and

"The Clinton administration is asking for
$17.8 billion to fight illegal drugs next year.

17.8-3.7 = $14.1 - that's a negative $14,100,000,000.00 return. We're winning the drug war, right?

Just from a technical standpoint, that was pretty good shooting, whatever the range, as those boats are going to roll and pitch, no matter how calm the sea. If they both were underway, that even more impressive.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

Yep, but the only problem is that they gave that 53 tons of cocaine to the CIA and they peddled it into the US.

Then the DEA confiscated it again, and gave it back to the CIA, and they sold it again...

--------------------------------------

Wanna Bet!!!!!

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best

I saw a photo of him and his Robar .50 in the paper today. He was using, much to my surprise, a reflex/holo sight of some type. I suppose that's what you'd want at ranges in which you could hit the engine of a moving boat.

17 billion to net 3 billion. Forget about the enormous multiplication of street value routinely used (The law enforcement agencies use the price for a gram of cocaine in determining value not the wholesale price used for multiple kilogram lots necessary to sell a ton) Seems like we would get almost 6 times as much bang for our buck by simply buying cocaine.

This more than anything shows the emperor has no clothes. The goal is not to interdict drugs. The goal is to increase government power and to interdict the Bill of Rights.

Seems like I've heard that drugs are a 100 billion dollar industry annually in the US market. Based on the above figures, it appears that law enforcement would need around 600 billion dollars a year to stop it.
Imagine the rape of the Constitution that could accomplish!

What is if was the wrong boat? Cops do that in land all the time.

Oops - my bad! I hosed your Boston Whaler with fifty cal fire... Sorry... Write is a bill...

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."[/b]
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Yeah, and if you weren't carrying contraband and tried to fight back "Threatening action would allow Coast Guard sharpshooters to use deadly 'defensive' fire." hmmm Hope I win the lottery. I see a need for that Vulcan.

Vulcan would be nice... I would opt for the Avenger* cannon my self.
7 barrells.
30 MM.

I think I would need a bigger boat. :)

*The Avenger cannon is the main gun of the A-10 Thunderbolt II (the Warthog).

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."[/b]
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Sounds like a new Tom Clancy book.

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

"So how long do you think it'll be before the dopers get serious about submarines?"

I'd guess they'll be using Mk.48 ADCAP warshot for "humanitarian" purposes by then...nothing like 650 pounds of HE to mess up a day fishing trip.

Mmmmm... GAU-8/A...

In USAF 462X0 school, I got to work on a Vulcan. "Cool," I thought, "this is one serious gun."

Then I got my hands on an Avenger, and cursed my fate: I was going to F-16s instead of A-10s.

"We all have missed opportunities to deplore." --Sherlock Holmes

Anyway... I don't think mounting the Avenger on a good-size boat would be the problem. With good hydraulics, it should be manageable. The problem would be, where to store the ammo?

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

Several years ago, part of an old 747's hull was captured by anti-drug forces. It was being used as a submarine to smuggle large quantities of drugs, I believe in the Gulf of Mexico. Sorry I can't find any online references, but it happened a couple years before everything was recorded on the net.

The smugglers have already gone to sneakier methods. Sometimes I think they keep the high-profile speedboat and light aircraft coming to divert attention from other areas. I know of at least one instance where they managed to weld a large metal cylinder onto the hull of a cruise ship. Some freak event caused the ship to pump ballast out and when it rose higher in the water, oops.

Mistakes in deadly force interdiction do happen. In fact, they happen a *lot* in Central America and the island nations. I believe Jimmy Buffett had his seaplane turned into swiss cheese by the Jamaican military a few years ago.

But it should get interesting out there on the high seas. The drug runners have access to one thing - lots of laundered cash. How long do you suppose it'll be before those unarmed speed boats start bristling with armament? Heck, a few com-bloc shoulder-fired heatseekers would probably be a cheap investment for those people. I don't wish bad luck on the Coasties, but I do believe this is all political grandstanding. If a helicopter or two is splashed, we'll find out how seriously committed to the "drug war" the administration is. Heh, Bill probably told them to stop those boats and bring the cargo directly to him, for "photo-op" purposes, of course.

Interesting. "International Waters". so it's okay for us to go shooting at folks in International Waters, but if somebody's government shot at a US ship...

It has seemed to me for a lot of years that "International Law" is whatever the biggest army or navy says it is...

Somehow this seems contradictory to what we keep telling the world we're all about as a society.

Sign me, "Puzzled"...

Read HAMMERHEADS by Dale Brown...

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Art,
Good observation. It seems the goals of our government have either changed or simply become clearer.

Back