Shooting distances to fine tune 6.5 Creedmoor

Dearhunter61

Guys,

I am really getting antsy waiting for my stock to come in! But back to the topic...when I get my 6.5 Creedmoor finished what yardages would you start and work out to 1,000 yds while working on breaking in the rifle as well as working up loads?

Currently I shoot at Alpine but it only has a 100 yd range. Are there any places around Arlington that has 500-1,000 yard ranges?

When you get a new rifle either factory or a build do you ever buy factory ammo and shoot those before you shoot your reloads? I've always done this just to site it in with them and then start shooting my reloads.

Thanks,

Mel

I shoot "handloads" not "reloads" there is a difference. If it does not shoot good @ 100 yds.it is not going to be better at a 1000 yds.
I have twice as many rifles that have never seen factory ammunition.
Handloader will weight sort his brass,bullets,be very particular about brass prep..Handloader will weigh each powder charge,concern his/herself with ideal O.A.L.,concentry,bullet run out,neck dimensions and a myriad of other variables.
Reloaders shoot,minimal brass prep,dump powder from a powder measurer stick a bullet on the top and do as many as fast as they can.

I can't imagine why I'd but factory ammo unless it was the only way to get brass.
100 yards is fine for load development and sighting. A little farther is better. I almost never shoot past 200.

Last edited:
Personally I like to start at short distances and work up my loads. Once I find one that I think works I'll check it at longer distances.

Also if I can buy stock ammo I usually start there for break in because I'm going to need cases and those loads should perform already.

I wouldn't call 600 miles "nearby". :)

For starters, I'd work up loads for smallest five-shot groups at 100 yards. I found that sub-MOA at 100 was also sub-MOA at 500.

Hunt up the manager of the O2 Ranch. He lives in Alpine. Might be able to set up a place to shoot.

Handloader will weight sort his brass,bullets,be very particular about brass prep..Handloader will weigh each powder charge,concern his/herself with ideal O.A.L.,concentry, bullet run out, neck dimensions and a myriad of other variables.

Reloaders shoot, minimal brass prep, dump powder from a powder measurer stick a bullet on the top and do as many as fast as they can.
What? Never heard such stuff. There's lots of contradicting realities to prove otherwise. Handloaded ammo's typically meant new components assembled by hand operated machines. Reloaded ammo's the same except fired cases are resized first. SAAMI's glossary agrees. Either can have all sorts of meticulous weights and measures applied. But like magazines and clips, it all gets mixed up depending on one's whims.

I found that sub-MOA at 100 was also sub-MOA at 500.
I wouldn't bet on that; no way at all. Especially with ammo that shoots no worse than8/10ths to 9/10ths MOA at 100 yards. I've seen stuff that does that but won't stay under 3 MOA at 500.

Last edited:
Deer hunter-I do all my load work at min of 300 yards. You have a 1000 yard rifle.no reason to start at 100.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always run a box or remington core-loct through mine just to get a feel for the rifle and get a rough zero. It wont hurt anything...

Last edited by a moderator:
There's good reasons why arsenal 30 caliber ammo's tested at 600 yards with at least 200 shots per group. Very high statistical significance and exposes the variables hidden at shorter ranges. The most accurate ammo-rifle systems' groups open up in MOA about 10% for each 100 yards past the first 100. That's caused by muzzle velocity and bullet BC spreads along with subtle atmospheric differences in the trajectory path.

Sometimes, there's compensation for muzzle velocity spread when slower bullets leave the muzzle on its upswing later than faster ones that leave sooner. This makes long range accuracy better than short range.

Last edited:
Yes, case quality, for one thing. And its short, fat design makes for more uniform powder charge ignition; good thing for accuracy. Its better shaped shoulder means less shoulder setback when the firing pin smacks the primer; more uniform primer ignition.

Yes, case quality, for one thing. And its short, fat design makes for more uniform powder charge ignition; good thing for accuracy. Its better shaped shoulder means less shoulder setback when the firing pin smacks the primer; more uniform primer ignition.

Good info. I am really curious about the cartridge.

Guys,

Thanks, for the info.

Bart, Thanks! I agree with you!

All of my hunting rifles are factory rifles, which since the area that I hunted didn't have a shot over 250-300 yards, the work I put in loading ammo for them got me MOA and better at 100 yards which was all I really needed. Now that I'm getting a custom rifle built which hopefully will be a 1000 yard rifle I've tightened up my load processes especially prepping my brass and I'm sure I'll continually work on improving this.

As for working up loads at 300 plus yards that's a little more of a challenge. I'll have to drive over an hour one way to do this.

Back