Shooting Blanks?/ Illegal discharge?

atlctyslkr

If an individual were to shoot off blanks in a city that has an ordinance against discharging firearms would this count?

It's a firearm, and you're discharging it-albeit with blanks-within city limits. While you might not be convicted, I'd expect there's a strong chance of getting arrested.

I wouldn't try it, IMHO.

Larry

I agree i would not try it.From what i can find the law is very vauge about what you discharge in so much as cartridges. It does not say any thing about blanks.It basically states ( as stated) discharging a weapon in city limits. Does not matter it seems as weather it's blanks or real ammo it just states discharging a weapon. I would not want to take a chance on it and possable lose all rights to own a gun. On a second note..Why would you want to fire blanks any how?.

It depends where you are.

Arizona law seems to make an exception for this, although you could still get into trouble for disorderly conduct.

My uncle found out the hard way that firing flares out of a shotgun is considered discharging within city limits. He got charges dropped because his house is right on the city line, and that border changes every year it seems.

I'm going to respond with my standard disclaimer: "It depends."

We have fifty states, each with its own laws that have their own definitions. On top of that, within many of those states there are counties and/or municipalities that have laws, statutes, or ordinances that govern the discharge of firearms. To answer this question would require knowing the jurisdiction, and then reading the particular statutes and/or ordinances that apply in that jurisdiction.

As a general rule, I suspect previous posters are correct in that, more than likely, "discharge" is not well or properly defined, and thus any laws prohibiting discharge of a firearm would include firing blanks.

As to starter pistols (which have plugged barrels and cannot eject a projectile) -- now you also have to review the laws for the definition of "firearm" to determine whether or not a starter pistol is considered a firearm in that jurisdiction.

Round here it is the fact that you discharged it, not what you discharged it with.
"Discharging a firearm in town limits is illegal. We don't care if it was a blank or a bullet, discharged is discharged." was what I was told by the local LEOs when I inquired.:rolleyes:

If an official at a track meet fires a starter pistol in the manner that is reasonable & customary for track meets, what would be the chances of him being arrested? I would think the time & place would have some bearing on it.

Are starter pistols still used at a lot of track meets or do they often use something else now? I have seen swim meet officials use a horn of some sort in recent years. Haven't been to a track meet in years.

Law specifically states discharge-not whats being discharged.

Fire it and be arrested.

Prudent use exceptions would be for a track meet or for crow dispersal but you'd better get a permit for the crow dispersal use before you fire the gun.

You could also call the local police and tell them you are going to discharge your permitted use of the gun before you fire it-so they don't have to send a officer to respond when the neighbors possibly freak out.

And they would probably get you for non-firearm violations,creating a disturbance,inducing panic,public intimidation,and anything else they could drum up.
And its just not a wise move to be standing there with a firearm loaded with blanks when LEO pulls up.

Back