Shooting an M1 Left Handed

PATB

Inactive
I would like to know how user friendly an M1 Grarand is to a left handed shooter. I am planning to shoot high power rifle competition but only have enough funds for a CMP (DCM) supplied M1 (around 400).

Thanks in advance for any information.

My Dad was from the era that had Garands or other Garands as target rifles in the Army. He shot in competition most of his 30 years as a lefty with little trouble. I don't really know what you might have trouble with as a lefty Garand shooter but when it happens I'll be glad to ask my Dad what he did and get back to you. It must get a little tricky loading rapid fire I would imagine. Good luck and let me know if you want any pointers from another lefty.

Joefo

PatB,

One of the more obvious tweaks that must be done for a lefty is to properly configure the extractor and ejector such that the hot brass in not forcibly embedded in ones face...

That reality check having been resolved, there is no other practical limitation.

The "manual of arms" for the Garand was designed before southpaws were given social recognition for anything other than a mean fastball. For informal plinking, hunting and target shooting, what ever safely accomplishes the function would be acceptable. For drill teams, however, someone is gonna have to learn to do some "other-handed" stuff...

I've shot my M1 left handed w/out problems and no brass or clip has ever struck me from it. One thing though, I've never been able to reload as fast as a right hander (don't want an M1 thumb).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

there is an issue deflector made for the Garand.... and it fits the M14 also.... I do not know if they are still sold....

Back