shooting a savage 110 in 30-06 for first time

chuckmatlock

I have shot the savage 99 in 300 mag (open sights)and thought no big deal on recoil or accuracy, am I gonna get alot morerecoil? I don't want the flinch. I would like to shoot 1moa at 200yds.

I spent much of yesterday morning out at the range shooting one. It is a sweetheart! Like any rifle it will enjoy some ammo more than others. To date I've found it's favorite to be Double Tap 180 grain Accubonds.

If you get one expect to spend some time glass bedding it and tweaking the trigger. (Savage includes trigger adjustment instructions in the package.)

I had another but I Bubba'd it, turning it into a .35 Whelen. I call the .35 Whelen "Thumper" and the 30-06 "Bambie". :D

I have shot the savage 99 in 300 mag

Hate to break it to you but that .300 wasn't a magnum round, it was a .300 Savage cartridge. The .300 Savage is a little less powerful than a .308 Win, so depending on grain of bullet used the .30-06 could surprise you with it's recoil. You should be able to handle the .30-06 but if you find recoil bothering you STOP SHOOTING! Just call it a day and come back to the range another time. If you develop any kind of bad habits because of recoil go back to shooting a .22 lr or similar until you work them back out.

If you get a case of the flinchies from a heavy recoiling rifle just remember to flinch first...then resume firing!

I have a Savage 110 in 30 06 as well as 30 06's in Remington 700 and Winchester model 70, they're all about the same as far a felt recoil is concerned. If you are firing from a bench and sitting down leaning into the rifle you will get more felt recoil than if you are standing and shooting off-hand. For the purpose of sighting in though you'll need to be on a bench. I put a small sand bag between my shoulder and the rifle butt if I'm going to be shooting a lot, it helps to eliminate the flinching and you can concentrate on your trigger control without thinking about your sore shoulder. Just about anything will help spread out the recoil, even a rolled up towell is better than nothing.
Now I know a lot of guys here will tell you to put on your big boy drawers and deal with it, but I've seen a lot of ammo wasted by a macho dude flinching shots all over the target.
And like most things the more shooting you do the better you'll get at it.

Good Luck
Tarheel

One of my favorite rifles in the gun safe is my stock Savage 110B in 30-06.

The ammo it seems to absolutely thrive on are my handloads--Federal cartridges, turned neck, CCI Large Rifle Primers with 55.0 grains of IMR 4350 pushing a Speer 150 spitzer SP. I'll get touching four-shot groups at a hundred yards all day, every day.

I'm facing a shoulder replacement operation in the next year to two, so I invested in a good recoil pad. Made ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the world!

Fantastic guns, I love 'em.

Jeff

Boy! Is that subjective or what?..........

Guilty of being subjective as charged! I also don't think at 375 H&H is a terrible recoil either. Granted, can't shoot it all day but it's not as bad as feared.

I also don't think at 375 H&H is a terrible recoil either. Granted, can't shoot it all day but it's not as bad as feared.

You must have a shoulder made of steel.......:eek: Guess I'm just get'in old...:o

You must have a shoulder made of steel....... Guess I'm just get'in old...

Don't get me wrong, it has a stout recoil, but not as bad as I feared it would be. You can't shoot it all day, but it is certainly a workable hunting rifle.

Sadly, I save my flinching for pistols! Don't know why. The big bore rifles don't get me but I'm having a hell of a time with handguns lately.

I have a Savage 111 in 30-06 and it does kick like a mule from the bench. Maybe I'm getting old too. I made things much more pleasant by adding some wheel weights inside the rear of the stock, imbedded in silicone caulk. I also don't use anything heavier than 180 gr. ammo.

Back