shooting a face on a target

DAKODAKID

I know It can be done with a rifle, and the Mel Gibson
"Leathal Weapon" movie was a joke (loved the flinch while he shot though)
I have tried myself at 7yds to shoot a face on a target.
I got the eyes and the nose but the mouth wasn't quite
right...kindof..Mona Lisa like...
Has anyone else tried this????????
I have talked to people who claim they can do this
but have never seen their targets......
I know this is silly Hollywood stuff, but hey, can anyone
actually do this?????
Can anyone post the picture of their target??????
I have no way currently of posting mine, and thought this would make for an interesting discussion on this board..
Shooting for me is a relaxing hobby...
Any thoughts?????

PS. I bet Tamara could do this!!!!!!!

My son did it at that Cooper class we took last year. Although I don't remember if it was at 7 yards, [maybe 3 yards]. The instuctors blew off the target as luck so I would have to agree since it was under draw and fire drills. He still has the target so I'll try to get it posted if I remember.

A co-worker and I tried shooting a face on a target one day during our lunch hour. Mine looked like I gave it a labotomy and my friend was just as bad. We took a pencil and poked the holes on the target and took it back to work. Naturally we backed each other on our fib, but hey nobody fools with us anymore.

The point is: because we can. Of course the original question was, can it be done at 7 yards? I don't know because I've never tried it. Just another question I have to answer for myself. Last Friday, I answered the quetion where does the impact change to if you're laying on your right side[I'm left handed] and holding the gun completely sideways[lower right]. Friday before that, is there a difference between cast and hardball in shooting bricks with a .45?[no, the bricks shatter completely] Before that, is there a drastic impact change in shooting a target where the bullet first has to go through a windshield at a 45% angle?[no, of course the target was only 3 feet away from the windshield] Can you shoot a 6 foot high tree stump with a .22 pistol, no scope with a 10 round magazine and expect to hit at least once from 325 yards away[yes] Enquiring minds just wanted to know.

What's the point?

Well George, I would say that it is kind of like strapping on a pair of pistols and trying to draw and blast a target with both of them simultaneously without really aiming either one. I seem to remember a particularly funny thread about that a while back. Then there were threads about attempts at the Chow Yun Fat style, and other Hollywood hijinks. Stuff like that can be fun, and I would bet that more people on this board have tried it (shooting a face) than will admit it.

bergie
destroy the evidence, deny everything, make counteraccusations

I did it once at seven yards with my 1911. Just a waste of $1.50, I'd rather work those smallbore rifle targets. Scoring those at 7 yards is fun, and much more practical than pistol art.

ArmySon can do it

I actually witnessed Son do it last August with a custom 1911 shooting off hand at 7 yards and it was a perfect face the same as in the movie.

I will admit to trying it myself in the past with......ah....less than favorable results.

I will admit it (shooting a face, and a star), and the point was it was fun.. Just some guys at the range having fun. And I dont recall anyone doing well. :)

I tried it earlier this summer with my Hi Power at 25 feet. Got the eyes about level, nose close to center, ghoulish looking mouth!! After I was done, the guy in the lane next to me tried as well, actually more than a couple tries. Why do it, because we can. Why would anyone shoot watermelons, water jugs, balloons, aerosol cans, etc.. For the enjoyment and because it breaks up the routine.

The value of this sort of thing is the practice in trigger control and eye-finger coordination.

A "game" for .45 shooters is to draw a circle around a nickel, and try to shoot out the circle with seven rounds. Five yards is a good range.

With any of these efforts, start out slowly, and as you get better, speed up your shots.

Drawing a face, offhand, is one of the demonstrations that the old-time trick shots used to do, as factory reps for the different gun and ammo manufacturers.

To me, this sort of thing is a fun way to do some worthwhile practice--it takes a lot of concentration.

Art

I do things like this due to watching the guy on American Shooter and reading John Ross's book. I mean, hey, why the heck not? It's fun and yes it's a waste of ammo. Same as the auto guys.. why do they fire full auto? They waste alot of ammo but it's FUN. For those of us with semi auto battle rifles... why do we fire a full mag (30 to 50rd) as fast as possible and trying to see how well we've done.. cause it's FUN. My fav. thing to do was to put caps (those used for trains in the old days to mark the distance to a junction site or loading unloading site) around a small tree. You try to hit the cap, thus causing it to explode and tear out a chunk of tree. After you fell the tree, then you cut it up for firewood (this was ALONG time ago, when I was a kid with my favorite Uncle, now deceased). Sure, we could've just used an axe and did it faster but it wasn't FUN.

USP45usp

*PS: I still can't hit that danged ballon at 200 yards with a snubby .44. It can be done, I've seen it on T.V. :D

I'll 2nd Art's comments (not that they need seconding)... the value is in the continuing training and improvement of trigger control, shot placement, etc. I imagine for most of us here, shooting is a hobby that we constantly seek to grow. The value is in the doing, in the training, and (for some of us <most of us?>) in the relaxation of the sport. Doesn't matter if you are shooting the outline of a face, shooting playing cards, keeping shots within the 10-ring, or placing that one important shot between the eyes of the hostage-taker in the spinning target which you have 2 seconds to respond to, the benefits of the training and practice and concentration are cummulative. And, if it makes it fun, we are more likely to do it. (I don't mean to step on toes here, though ... for those on a limited budget or with a limited number of rounds with which to train, those rounds might be better spent on other tactics than a ".45 smiley face"!

Regardless, keep on shooting!

Hey, if it's fun and it gets you to the range more often, GO FOR IT! If you have one last magazine of ammo and your 10-ring is shot to pieces, GO FOR IT! If you need to justify it based on a training exercise, that's cool too.

Anything that reinforces serious training is a good thing, and if it's a lot of fun too, all the better.

I have tried this with mixed results. I will try again. And again. And I will also continue to shoot pumpkins, water filled pop bottles, tin cans, clay pigeons, giant saber-toothed woodchucks, etc.

Enjoy your sport!

Oh, shoot a face on a target!

At first thought this topic was stick someones face on a target and shoot it! I don't anticipate shooting a face onto a piece of paper or cardboard. Would rather spend my ammo on something more fun. Like shooting a face I've stuck onto my target! Any good SoreLooserman pictures out there to print up?

I did it at about 5 yards with a brand new Kimber. The eyes & nose were easy enough, but the mouth was more of a sneer than a smile. I also had a flier that nicked the right ear, but covered it by saying I was going for the cell phone. No one questione it?!?! M2

ya know, i'd kinda like to do that Bruce Willis thing, where you drop to the ground and roll from one point of cover to the other, emptying your mag the whole time...i really would like to try that some day
i'll let y'all know how i do
oh, and i really do like it when i see big stars shoot with no glasses, no ear protection and no resultant ringing ears!
those folks are really pistoleroes!

Back