Shooting 5.56 in a .30cal can?

TrueBlue711

I'm sure shooting a .30 cal suppressor on a 5.56 rifle won't hurt it at all, but I'm curious to how effective it would be. Aside from some possible decibel improvement, what would be an advantage of getting a 5.56 can for my 5.56s? Disadvantages to using a .30 cal can on a 5.56?
Is the decibel difference between a 5.56 can and a .30 can large enough to be worth getting a can of each caliber? Or is it negligible enough to just have a .30 cal can and swap it between all my .30 and 5.56 rifles?

I'm sure shooting a .30 cal suppressor on a 5.56 rifle won't hurt it at all, but I'm curious to how effective it would be. Aside from some possible decibel improvement, what would be an advantage of getting a 5.56 can for my 5.56s? Disadvantages to using a .30 cal can on a 5.56?

Is the decibel difference between a 5.56 can and a .30 can large enough to be worth getting a can of each caliber? Or is it negligible enough to just have a .30 cal can and swap it between all my .30 and 5.56 rifles?

I use my 30cal can on a 556 AR. Performance wise it works just as well as a dedicated 556.

Main disadvantage is that it is longer and heavier than required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just took possession of my new dedicated 22 can. My two cents: there is a discernible difference in muzzle signature between the big .30 cal can and the shorter but slightly fatter 22 can. The dedicated 22 can is very close to the sound of a open muzzle 22lr even with full power .223 commercial ammo. The 30 cal can was never that quiet on the .223.

Generally a.30 can on a .223 will be 3-4db louder than a .22 can. But you can use the .30 on many other firearms.

So sounds like not much advantage; 3-4 decibels and maybe a couple ounces of weight. At least not enough to justify buying another $600+ suppressor plus $200 tax stamp. Maybe down the road, if the HPA or SHUSH act passes, I'll get a dedicated 5.56 suppressor for my 5.56's. Until then, I'll just swap my .30cal can between all my guns.
I do, however, plan on getting a rimfire can next! Swap that back and forth between my Mark III and 10/22.

Generally a.30 can on a .223 will be 3-4db louder than a .22 can. But you can use the .30 on many other firearms.

Yep, it's all about the trade-offs, and there are several.

The bit higher decibel level (sound signature) running a 30-cal can on a 5.56 is one. However, for the guy who wants to buy only one can for multiple .30 and .223/5.56 host rifles, going this route probably makes sense.

Another trade-off is length and weight. Most .30-cal cans, by design, hang longer off the muzzle and are heavier over-all than a dedicated .22 can.

If you only shoot your .223/5.56 rifle or carbine off a bipod while proned-out, it doesn't matter. But if you're running around toting it, whether for hunting (like chasing hogs or whatever), any extra weight on the gun is going to add up. So a lighter, dedicated .22 can for that type of "move & shoot" use makes sense.

Back