Shooting .22 pistol for fun and testing

darticus

Inactive
Doing some target shooting in my business basement. Only 10-30 rounds weekly but fun for testing some pistols. Shooting at 10-35 meters as thats all it will allow in distance. If I set sights for this distance than at 25 yards it would be way off. Is there a better way to do this or should I just make up for distance by just shooting off the bull the distance needed to correct? Thanks Ron

Eh, not following, exactly.
Are you saying that you want the gun right on at 25 yards, but your setup in the basement is either 10 yards or 35 yards, but nothing in betwixt?

I've done it both ways. I tend to favor sighting in for a certain yardage and just 'eyeball adjust' for shorter or longer distances. If I know a bullet is going to hit 4 inches low, there's a easy fix for that and it doesn't involve adjusting the sights :D.

I've had a couple of rifles and revolvers with easily adjusted sights though. If it only takes a quick turn or slide to zero me up, I will do it.

I doubt you're going to see more than 3/4" difference in the POI at the very outside extreme.
That what all the bullet drop charts I looked up seem to indicate.

which?

10 or 35 meters...
If I set sights for this distance than at 25 yards it would be way off.

Not clear. What distance is "this distance"? In any case, a 22 will shoot quite flat between 50 feet and 50 yards. Little adjustment is needed.
Pete

Some optics such as tube-style red dots can be off the bore axis by a considerable amount. If the center of the tube is 2 inches above the bore axis and you zero it at 25 feet, you will be hitting 2 inches high at 50 feet. The bullet rises to the point where the line of the bore axis intersects the line of the scope axis at 25, but the bullet keeps rising along the line of the bore axis as it goes further.

(Sorry if this explanation is oversimplified for some; folks new to shooting have to think about this concept for a second.)

Back