shootin' the P9......

38Mike

This isn't going to be much of a "range report", but here goes..

After the new P9 walked out of the gunshop with me, we took a trip to the range on the north side of Cheney lake.

For ammo I had: 100 rounds of Fiochi 115gr. ball, 50 rounds of 124gr. NATO ball, 50 rounds of Federal Hi-Shok 147 gr. JHP, and a handfull of Fed. 115 gr. Hi-shoks...

As tiny as the grip on this pistol is, I was able to get a good solid hold. Grip has large "chunks" of checkering on the front and rear which really help with control. It felt like I was holding a cheese grater at first, but after a while I got used to it. It was in the mid 80's and I was sweating enough to be constantly wiping my glasses and ear muffs, but I never lost my shooting grip. Mr. Moon did a good job designing this thing.

Another thing that stood out is the lack of perceived recoil/muzzle flip. The baby eagle that I'd traded for the P9 would really rock in your hand. I didn't notice this with the Kahr. Maybe the small overall size has something to do with this?

Anyway the pistol fed everything, no jams , misfires, hiccups,..I don't have any accuracy or velocity data, I was just out doing the 200 round break in per instructions, so far, so good, now we'll find a good reliable "social" load....

I don't have any qualifications to make recommendations of defensive hardware, but the P9 is a winner; if our good guvna ever turns around and fullfils his campaign promise of CC for Kansas, I will no doubt tote the P9...

Apologize for the long post.....

Mike M.

I tested out a P9 a couple of months back. It does shoot softly for what it is. Here is my complaint about the p9. For some odd reason(Strangely shaped hands)the P9 points LEFT for me. I just could not get a comfortable instictive grip on it. Wish I could its a great little gun.

I really like the little Kahr P9. The slimness and light weight really appeal to me. Though I've never shot one, I have handled them a couple of times. The only problem for me is the small grip just doesn't fit my large, thin hand. I wish Brooks Tactical would make an A-grip for the P9 with some added thickness to help people with large hands. I have read about custom shops that can add some length to the trigger face to help those with large hands. Anyway, thanks for the range report. JohnH

there is a much easier way to fix the too small grip. I've done it to my P9 and you don't have to permantly modify the grip. What I did was use some epoxy putty (it's like adhisive clay that hardens but stronger. As I didn't want the epoxy permantly affixed to my P9 I first covered the grip with tinfoil. Next I mixed up the epoxy putty and molded a addition to the rear of the grip that lenthened it. When the epoxy hardended enough (5 min) I removed it and let it harden compleatly. I also removed the tinfoil. Now I had a custom fitted 3/4" thick backstrap addition. I used a houge grip sleave to hold it on the grip. This increased the trigger reach and kept the grip thickness the same. I had some pics posted somewhere once. I think photopoint pooped out on me though.

Suddenly my P9 which had been shooting consistanly about 3 inches left was right on target. Imagine.

shiro

Shiroikuma, I remember seeing your pictures; great idea! I wish someone would offer something similar aftermarket. Pistols that seem to small always point left for me; that goes for 1911's also. Large gripped Glock 30's and ParaOrdances are right-on. Anyway, thanks for the imput and keep us posted on your P9. JohnH

I can't wait untill Kahr decides to come out with a polymer MK9. So would that be a MPK9? :) Anyway I really hope the Gov. of Kansas gets CCW passed. Then hopefully Missouri would have a little more pressure added to them to get it passed here since you can't tell where KCMO ends and where KCK begins. Since so many people live in Missouri and work in Kansas and vice versa I would think that they would almost have to pass ccw at about the same time in both states. Maybe not. May just be wishful thinking.

Pics!

View

View

Just imagine what they'd look like covered in A grip material... Leopard skin ;)

LOL

shiro

Back