Shooters Thread-Part 1

marcseatac

What have you been shooting lately? What loads? How are you doing?
---------------------------------------------------------

I'll go first. Yesterday the weather cleared and got to shoot the Lymans GPR. This is the fourth time I've had it out. It was shooting 18 inches low out of the box so I've been filing front sight and everytime I take it out it seems to shoot about 6 inches higher. I was afraid of taking too much off so I went easy. I just about have it now.

I had been playing with different loads, decided to try 100 grs of T7 FFg. I also found some .54 cal wads. Don't remember the brand name but they are those real yellow wads as opposed to the ones that seem to be almost white and are firmer.

I also switched patches to the TC .54 cal pre-lubed ones. They are .015 and I'm using a .530 ball (Speer). I was using the RWS 1075 caps. No problems, instant ignition all day.

I shot 25 rounds at 50 yds didn't have much distance available in this spot, but it is close by.

It almost put them all in the same hole except for a couple flyers. After a while I was putting the lead through the same hole and was too lazy to change the target. Mainly just wanted to put some mileage on the barrel.

Target below. This rifle is coming around. I'm going to file a couple more strokes off the front sight and take her out to 100 yds next time.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/marcseatac/PDRM0278.jpg

What part of the country do you live in? It's been too friggin' cold in NH to shoot. The cold isn't so bad, but toss in the wind and it's nasty. Windy, cold and no snow.

Seattle Tacoma

The thing here is dodging the rain, fog, ice and snow this year. Lots of rain though. I got this shooting in between rain squalls. LOL:)

Here in sunny Arizona, we shoot all year. Gets nippy in the winter, down into the 40's in the early morning but usually in the 50's to 60's by noon. I can laugh now because I originally come from Connecticut. 30 years of winter and I moved the family out west. Never regretted it. Anyhow, I shot my monthly club shoot today and normally shoot my Hawken style rifle, but I bought a .45 cal. underhammer rifle at a local gun show and I spent some time today figuring out that she likes 45 grains of 3f powder with a .440 ball wrapped in a .018 patch. This is my first underhammer and I'm very impressed. It was made in Maine by a company I've never heard of but seems to be very accurate,even for a old geezer like me.:D

I'm intrigued by the underhammers. Do the caps fall off?
I'm also intrigued by Arizona. The wife and I were talking about it just last night, how we should take a weekend trip to AZ just to check it out. She got flight prices and everything, but as soon as it warms up we'll forget about it.
CT? Isn't that part of NY?

yesterday It hit a balmy mid 40's here, which was nice after a week in the 20's. but it was nice to hit the range yesterday,

took my pietta 1858 to the range finally, was shooting mostly 30grains fffg with a .451 ball, I did do one set before leaving the range at 40grains just to see what it was like. I do need to adjust the sight, at I had started at 15 yards but was having problems finding the paper (4 out of 12 shoots, usually do much better then that ;)), so I moved the target to 7 yards to see where it was shooting. the balls where hitting about 5 inches left of where i was aiming,but at least in a tight group, next time at the range, since I have some idea of how off the sites are, I'll move back to 15 and then 21 and see where they land.

Back