Shoot Weaver stance? Why?

Valdez

I've recently got a good place to shoot. Whoo-hoo! So I guess I'm going to start doing regular drills....So

Should I stay with the isoceles or "strong" isoceles stance which I naturally tend to assume, or adopt some sort of Weaver stance?

I see that many competitive shooters now shoot isoceles, and it seems that many shooters do this even in matches using non-comped guns. Any thoughts on this?

Which stance you use depends upon the circumstances. For example, Weaver is good in CQB situations, where you want the gun closer to you. Weaver also tends to decrease bounce when you're moving.

IMO, Isosceles' advantage is that it's easier to learn, since your body naturally wants to squarely face a threat (unless you're a wretched Democrat ;) ).

Bottom line is, like everything else gunnish, find what works best for you.

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

I practice in the isoceles stance. It seems to me that during close quarter combat, your body will square up to the target, and your arms will extend straight out to form the triangle. now, for target shooting, and when you need a stable shooting platform, the weaver grip seems to work well.
If you get a chance watch the competition speed shooters, most are using an isoceles stance.
EK

It is really what works for you. Try both and use which ever one works. I use a sort of Weaver, modified Chapman sort of thing that is part of both but not really either. But, hey, I works for me.

My advice is to practice both methods. Both Isoceles and Weaver/Chapman have their good and bad points. Practice both and apply whichever one fits your situation. Or is the best for you.

LawDog

Good advice, LawDog. Use what works best for you. Everyone is built different, and is different physical condition. Everyone also
has different levels of skill. Use what's best for you. Practice different methods..
Then adapt the methods to what works best for you... not what everyone else is doing...

------------------
Stand against evil, lest evil have its way...

While I agree with the comments that you should use the one that works for you, there have been several recent studies, most notably the one by Siddle, showing that under stress, even long-time Weaver-only shooters revert to an Isosceles position. Based on the facts you presented, I'd strongly recommend the Isosceles.

I sort of use the same sort of thing that Grayfox sort of uses. :)

I always practice using the Weaver stance since the Isosceles just doesn’t feel comfortable for me.

At the last IDPA match, a friend took a few pictures of me while I was shooting a couple of stages. Surprise! I wasn't using the same stance. I was using a stance that was in between the Weaver that I practiced and Isosceles that I don't like.

I've since quit worrying so much about making myself use the Weaver and just use what comes naturally. Everybody is different and what works for me might not work for you.

Use what works best for you. I normally shoot "Weaver" style but sometimes without doing it on purpose will shoot "Isoceles" for quick multiple shots.....

I use the same sort of thing that DMSC uses which is sort of using the same sort of thing that Grayfox sort of uses :) :)

Actually, began shooting a isoceles (before knowing it was called that) long ago, picked up the Weaver stance - a good idea for close quaters and quick mobility - somewhere on the way and now find I just slip into something in between... but if I think about it too much, the 'stance' seems to fall apart and the target stay intact: Whatever, ones shooting should be un-selfconcious and automatic methinks. Comes with practice (never enough)

Peter Knight

Do both, and also one hand and weak hand. Especially weak hand.

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Yep - practice onehanded with both hands.
All the stance stuff is great until
you fall on your face and break your
wrist. Then you lose rotation and
guess what - it's one hand time.
BTDT.

You will use what you practice. I only practice Weaver for two handed. More stable shooting platform and you're ready to box. How can you lose with it?

------------------

The Seattle Shooter

Back