Shoot out your SMG barrel?

mhannah1

Anyone have any figures on number of rounds it takes to shoot out the barrel on a M11/9mm? Its a Cobray if that helps.
Thanks

Barrel life is going to be relative to how fast you shoot how many. Using head and trying to hit specific things, barrel good for thousands of rounds. Pukin out mag after mag will erode the throat, the muzzle etc real quick.

Spray n pray fun when Tommy Taxpayor is furnishing the barrels. When you have to buy em yourself, moderation becomes a necessity.

Sam

I have a Cobray M11/9 and have fired around 20k rounds through it with no signs of wearing out. I also have purchased a spare upper, bolt and trigger kit for it, just it case something does fail. They are very cheap, so it's no big deal to get them.

They now have an upper that moves the operating knob from the top to the side, making it a lot easier to operate.

Hkmp5sd - - -Guess it's purely a matter of personal preference - - -

I could never understand why they moved the Thompson bolt handle onto the right side - - -You have to reach over the top or turn gun on side to use left hand on it.

Look how many good designs put the handle on top or the left - -BAR, the H&K series, many others. Oh, well - - -

Even shooting cast bullet loads, I prefer to allow a barrel to cool off a bit between magazines, and, especially, between drums. All the more so, shooting jacketed ammo.

In regard to Sam's observation - - -Back in the days of the muscle cars, you could watch who "laid rubber" on every acceleration, and sort of get an idea which young driver was buying his own tires, and whose daddy furnished 'em. :D

Best,
Johnny Guest

I think a lot of it would depend on the temperature. Once steel gets over about 400 degrees (I forget the exact number) it starts to lose its temper and can get softer.

Johnny Guest,

On the M11/9, the problem isn't so much the handle on top or side as the factory handle was so small, it literally hurt some folks fingers trying to pull it back.

Also, the handle on top went directly into the bolt, so it moved with the bolt. From what I have heard, the new design merely cocks the bolt and then returns to a rest position.

Like you said, mostly personal preference. I also allow plenty of cooling on all of my MGs when doing shooting session. While some may be designed to take the heat, no sense tempting fate.

Back