Shoot/don't shoot interactive? Suggestions?

sbryce

I'm toying with an idea and I want some input. I have the skill set to put together an interactive video CD that would put a person in different situations where the use of deadly force may or may not be appropriate. As the video progresses, the person could decide what course of action to take. Wrong decisions would have bad results. Good decisions would have positive results. Think of it as an interactive The Red Zone in real time.

The idea is to create a CD that could be used as an extension of CCW training. It might also be used by people trying to decide if they want to carry, by people who don't carry but have guns for home defense, or by people who might enjoy the CD as a computer game. (Though is would be different than other games out there. The goal would not be to shoot as many BG's as possible, but to defuse each situation the best way possible, and that won't always involve shooting.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for such a CD? Do you think there would be a market for it? What would you like to see in it? And, of course, the $10,000,000 question: How would someone come up with funding to develop the CD? Interactive video is expensive to produce!

sbryce, there is some precedent for what you are doing, although it is not directly on point. Check out SafetyOn software at http://www.safetyon.com/ . The President is Michael Marks, and if you do a search on TFL you will find that he has posted here.

Their product fulfills some of the goals in your post, but I don't think it includes specific interactive shoot / no-shoot scenarios. I have see film like that, and then of course there are the FATS (firearms training simulator) machines - see http://www.fatsinc.com/ . Those are neat, but not exactly set up for use on your PC.

Good luck. Regards from AZ

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited September 23, 1999).]

I (and some others at TFL) have done the FATS thing. Very cool. I didn't shoot anyone I wasn't supposed to, but I didn't shoot a couple that I probably should have.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

With the FATS - I am always going for NUMBER OF lethal hits vs simply making a HIT.

:D

One of the BEST VIDEO GAMES ever made...

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

sbryce,
As you follow through with your idea, if you make the CD a "hybrid" CD then you will reach both the Windows compatible users and the Mac users. Don't eliminate a major segment of the market by developing for only one platform.

Back