Shoot Better DA Than SA?!?

Martowski

I was very suprised yesterday to find out yesterday that I'm just as good, if not better, shooting DA than SA out of my 686. Any of you shoot better DA than SA as well? I'll have to toy around with this some more. My only guess is that when shooting DA, I can't anticipate the shot and "flinch" like I might be doing SA.

Any thoughts?

I have noticed this with small, light DA revolvers and think the heavier pull is steadying the light gun that otherwise has a tendency to move around a lot. This hasn't been true of larger DAs but I havn't tested that aspect as thoroughly. If that were to prove out it might turn your whole marksmanship world upside down. Imagine....instead of light crisp 'target' trigger pulls we went to heavy creepy pulls.

Probably you are flinching a little when shooting single action.

i'm like ankeny, i'm much more accurate and faster shooting DA. i've tried this with my pythons, smith 14,66,27,58 and the 642 with outstanding results.

remember that your records in PPC and bianchi shooting are all fired DA. the only reason that i shoot SA nowdays is hunting, i even get more consistancy zeroing in DA.

ac - none of the trigger pulls on my gun are very heavy and surely they've never been call creepy.

The trick to accurate D/A shooting is to "stack" the trigger.For shots that are not required quickly it works fine--for the fast stuff there is no option but D/A anyhow.
Learning to "stack" the trigger takes a little practice,but once you have it,it's there for good.
For anyone who is not familiar with the practice of stacking,it works like this:-
First you feel where the trigger breaks(drops the hammer)
then you practice pulling it to the stage just before it breaks.Try this for a while,ie go to just before the break point and back off.Once you can get to the point every time then you have a very short movement to firing.Steady the aim at that time and off goes a good shot.(We hope)
I mostly use this method,but I do have one action that is so slick it doesn't stop anywhere(like a roller trigger).

I usually DO shoot somewhat better when firing a revolver DA as opposed to SA...fast or slow, close or distant...doesn't seem to make any difference, DA is the way, at least for me. This may be because, since about '75 or '76, I have intentionally shot almost all of my practice with revos using the DA mode...after all, if you EVER need to fire in an EMERGENCY(read SELF DEFENSE), how are you going to do it? DA, right? Right! I've seen it "theorized" that DA shooting requires you to have a very firm, UNIFORM grip on the gun, leading to good accuracy...also, shooting DA, you don't have to "break" your hold to thumb the hammer back, again leading to the uniform grip most conducive to good shooting...lastly, there is the issue of the "surprise break" of the trigger, when the gun fires...much easier to get with the DA triggerstroke, whereas its much easier to anticipate the "trigger break" with a crisp, light SA pull--can anyone say "invitation to flinch?" As always, YMMV.
BTW-what Blue Heeler refers to is also called "staging" the trigger...works okay in controlled, range-type situations, but, for what I hope are OBVIOUS reasons, that method should NEVER be attempted for "serious" work...WAY TOO EASY to go "jus' a lil' too far" on that trigger-pull, and...BANG! OOPS!...
Much better to work at perfecting the "straight-thru" DA triggerstoke...FWIW, all the "big boys" use the "straight-thru" method in PPC, IDPA, ICORE, etc....mikey357

You beat me to the punch Blue Heeler! :)

I use the same method for my precision DA shooting, only difference is that I was taught to call it "trigger cocking" It amounts to being a type of SA shooting without using your thumb to pull back the hammer.

Even with my snubby hammerless M-640, I can get good accuracy with this shooting style. When I "trigger Cock" I hold the trigger for a few heart beats to steady and realign my sights. The additional pressure needed to trip the sear amounts to a light SA let-off.

Try it, I think you will be surprise with the accuracy you can get this way.

Doc

Back