Shocking raise in the value of some guns

wdelack

So I am attempting to reach an understanding as to why, over the past 3 years, the value of some firearms has gone vertical. A good example of this are the Colt Pythons. I purchased a very nice blued 8" Python 3 years ago for $1000. The same gun, in similar condition, are showing up all over for more than $3000 (asking). This trend also seems to be affecting other guns as well, such as HK P7s and some of the rare models of Dan Wesson revolvers. These are just 3 brands/models that I have paid attention to, but I'm sure there are plenty other examples. Why, what has changed? Has the US Dollar lost value?

What does us dollar losing value have to do with certain guns going up in price?

Its just people wanting guns which are only around in limited quantities

Supply and demand. Maybe bubble mentality? Might be a good time to sell that Python. :cool: Unless they're going for $5K next year. That's the thing about bubbles. You never know when they're going to pop.

Supply and demand. Maybe bubble mentality? Might be a good time to sell that Python. :cool: Unless they're going for $5K next year. That's the thing about bubbles. You never know when they're going to pop.
It might be a bubble, or it might not. Colt's in serious financial trouble, and the Pyyhon has been out of production for a really long time. The price may not continue to appreciate, but I don't see them crashing anytime soon, either.

The Dollar losing value, a.k.a. inflation. It takes more of them to buy something.

No plans to sell my Python. But I did sell a Dan Wesson for a price in the range of what Pythons are going for.

The Dollar losing value, a.k.a. inflation. It takes more of them to buy something.

No plans to sell my Python. But I did sell a Dan Wesson for a price in the range of what Pythons are going for.
Well if it is inflatin then it would apply to all guns not just those

Yes it should. So inflation really doesn't explain why some guns are getting so expensive. I can see supply and demand for really rare guns pushing the prices up. However Pythons and HK P7s are for sale all over the place.

It sticks in my craw when we use the word value in this manner. Not saying you are wrong but it always seems to be more valid (to me, lol) to instead, use the term "value."

I say this because it's damn difficult to be so certain about a value. We see a lot of crazy prices and many times, we see sales at thise crazy prices. Obviously, for Pythons, the demand is real-- no argument there! But I want to ask these potential buyers if they realize that half a million of these were made.

Value is a funny thing, and yes, I have certainly noticed the trends you pointed out.

I can see supply and demand for really rare guns pushing the prices up. However Pythons and HK P7s are for sale all over the place.
All it takes is for demand to exceed supply. If supply is high but demand is even higher then prices will go up. The product doesn't have to be ultra rare for the principle to apply. And IG has a good point - when supply can't increase (long out of production) that can increase the demand as more people will think the price is likely to keep rising - that's the bubble effect. Crashes happen when folks that were only in it for the money "all" think "I better sell now and realize my gains". The collective demand is no longer there and prices fall, sometimes catastrophically. I'm not saying this is going to happen with Pythons tomorrow or soon. But it is an economic reality that has happened time and time again with investment commodities, be it gold, real estate, furs, you name it. Guns are not immune.

Sevens: I'm not sure i see the difference between value and "value" as you say, but I agree there is a difference between value and price. The value of a gun to me is in saving your hide from a violent attack or putting food on the table or pleasure derived from just looking at it. :) Price is just the amount of money you had to pay to enjoy those values.

Yes it should. So inflation really doesn't explain why some guns are getting so expensive. I can see supply and demand for really rare guns pushing the prices up. However Pythons and HK P7s are for sale all over the place.
No it doesnt. Not trying to be rude but you do realize that youre the one who suggested this in the first place?

Has the US Dollar lost value?

Bought food lately?

(But no, I don't think our general economic state has that much to do with the stratospheric rise of only certain iconic arms. Other guns have come down in price. Until the next time we have a D. president, at which time we'll have round 3 of the Great 0bama Gun Famine.)

Blindstitch said:
I blame the Walking Dead fans. Didn't they use one in that show.
Similar thing happened to the S&W Model 29 when the "Dirty Harry" movies were current.

Granted, the gun was in short supply at the time already (early in production and "natural" demand was high for such a good gun), But the movies boosted interest quite a bit.

I imagine interest in crossbows has gone up quite a bit because of "The Walking Dead" program as well. One of the characters uses a Stryker StrykeZone after he lost his original weapon, a Horton Scout HD 125. At least, that's what I'm told.

TWD uses a wide variety of weapons and even featured a loading press (in the background) in one scene.

I think it is a pretty good show, but their tactical planning sucks.

Lost Sheep

I don't find it so shocking, the P7, Dan Wesson revolvers, and Colt Pythons are all quality well made guns that aren't made anymore. With all the new gun owners in the past decade many learn about these old gems and need to get their hands on them. It's simple supply and demand, thousands of new gun owners, limited supply of said gun, price sky rockets. Personally they can have all the Pythons they want, vastly overrated gun IMO, but with that said, damn do I want a p7.

Im waiting for m1 authentic to come down in price. I hope to one day see it come down so that i can take a picture of it with ny 1911

Two factors,,,

A good example of this are the Colt Pythons. I purchased a very nice blued 8" Python 3 years ago for $1000

For this particular handgun it is two factors:

First it's a discontinued and iconic gun,,,
Supply and demand make it rare.

Second is it's use in the TV show The Walking Dead,,,
It's the same boost that the Model 29 got from Dirty Harry.

Aarond

Back