SHOCK BUFFERS in a 1911??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOCSpanky

Are these things really worth it, I have heard many mixed opinions.

------------------
DOCSpanky
"Walk softly and carry a big stick, perferably one of the 12 guage variety!"

I don't use them in any of my pistols, I have had bad luck with them . Kenn Tapp, big name pistol shooter, does not use them.

They break at the wrong times which ties up the pistol until it can be taken apart and the pieces of the buff removed. Some say, change the buffs every so many rounds (that number depends on who is giving the advise) and there will be no breakage problem. I have seen new buffs become little bitty pieces on the first magazine fired. I am talking about brand name buffs not the ones produced by Uncle Fred using his hand held punch in his garage.

I also think that, if not thinned width wise, they exert lateral pressure on the frame under recoil. I can not help but think that such pressures can not be doing any good to the frame.

My opinions only, others will have their opinions regarding the subject. BTW, I think this was covered sometime in the past along with the full length guide rod question.

How did pistols exist for all those years without the Shock-Buffs? LOL

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited September 30, 1999).]

well when pistols were made better, and metal
was forged and pistols weren't half plastic
shok-buffs weren't needed, also the tendency
towards higher pressure ammo sure the heck
would of beat old 1911s into mass graves, me
being Polish and seeing the Random pistol witha guide rod makes me think they made a better pistol, AH who cares about the buffs,
its like buying life insurance?

so many storms we must rise above,:}

DOCSpanky,

All my Government models have the Wilson Shock Buffs installed. I change them out just before they cut through. Never had them cause a problem, and I do think they help reduce frame battering.

Are they necessary? Darned if I know. I shoot a lot, but haven't worn out a frame yet.

I guess I view them like cheap insurance, to help protect my investment.

BTW: I don't have any in my Officer's ACP. Nor would I install one in a pistol intended for self defence, if it didn't come from the factory with one.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Jim K was right.
Jim V and I disagree on this subject. One of the few.
I like shock buffs I have never seen a shock buff tie up a 1911. I have seen 3 tied up with broken recoil springs, two with out shock buffs one with. I certainly wouldn't reccomend not using recoil springs.
However having said that I will say that if you shoot standard pressure/velocity loads, and don't shoot more than say 1500 rounds a year they aren't really needed. If you shoot high pressure/velocity loads shoot alot or like lighter than standard recoils springs then they can go along way toward extrnding the service life of your weapon.

After tying up my 70 Series Govt Model during qualification once (due to a fragmented buffer), I won't use buffers in a carry gun. I don't see a problem with using them in a gun used only to fire at the range.

One of the above posts referred to the Officer's Model -- that's the one I carry when out of uniform (which is most of the time). I heard so many accounts of the recoil spring plug 'tit' shearing off that I replaced mine with a high strength plug. I sleep better cause of it!

Wilson shock buffs package tell you NOT to use them in an Officer's ACP. Not enough roon in it's short slide travel.
Kit in AR

Shock Buffers do serve to alleviate the pounding received by the frame. In that respect, they satisfy their design criteria.
However, as mentioned above, they also break apart when old and resultingly, jam up the firearm.

The key to whether you use one or not depends on what purpose your 1911 serves. If it is for target shooting, where your life or the life a loved one is not at risk, then they're excellant. If your 1911 is for combat, remove them once you're home from the range. They have no business in a self-defense or duty weapon.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back