Shirt tucked in with IWB holster?

Lee6113

Hi guys,

I've looked into videos and such for different holsters to use once I get my CCW, but nothing really beats asking those with more experience and getting responses, so here's my question:

What are some holsters you can use for concealed carry that you can actually tuck your shirt in with? Usually I'm in slacks or jeans and a polo or button-up shirt. I always have my shirt tucked in. Any recommendations?

What you need to look for are "tuckable" holsters. They have their belt clips mounted on the bottom of the clip instead of the top. That creates a space for the shirt to be tucked in. Desantis makes several styles of tuckable holsters that get good reviews.

I looked around a little and I'm thinking I definitely would want one that's secured. I would want 0 chance of drawing my holster along with my weapon.

I would want 0 chance of drawing my holster along with my weapon.

With most tuckable IWB holsters, that isn't a problem. The belt clips go over the pants, down behind the belt, then loop up under the belt to a little exposed stub showing on the outside of the belt. So, when you draw up, those clips are going to hit against the bottom of your belt and stay put.

The clips grip well, even with no belt.

I forgot the brand of tuckable holster I use... But most shirts I can conceal a full sized beretta 92fs, with one exception stretchy polos.

Like most of us, you will collect various holsters for certain garments and weather.

Most all hybrid IWB holsters are tuckable, such as Concealment Solutions Black Mamba, Theiss, Alien Gear, MTAC, Crossbreed, etc. Just realize that with the standard style belt clips, the clips will be visible when the shirt is tucked in.

The newer alien gear holsters with the neoprene backing are very comfortable and adjustable. I cant believe ive gone this long without using the hybrid pancake style holster. They have an excellent warranty and are USA made if that matters to you. The crossbreed holsters i have read offer all of what the alien gear holsters do but at a higher price. I've never tried one but im sure are just as good if not better.

The newer alien gear holsters with the neoprene backing are very comfortable and adjustable. I cant believe ive gone this long without using the hybrid pancake style holster. They have an excellent warranty and are USA made if that matters to you. The crossbreed holsters i have read offer all of what the alien gear holsters do but at a higher price. I've never tried one but im sure are just as good if not better.

I would personally never again buy a Crossbreed when I can get the same holster for less money, faster shipping, and friendlier service elsewhere. Concealment Solutions and Theiss would be my first two choices. One of these days I may have to try an Alien Gear with the neoprene backing, I tried one of their leather hybrid holsters and was not too impressed.

Just in case nobody has mentioned it, or if it escaped you: start with a good belt.

My most common carry setup is: (a) belt (varies depending on outfit); (b) Crossbreed Supertuck; and (c) G19. If I'm wearing a suit or jacket, I don't tuck the shirt in over the pistol. Without the jacket, though, I do. I don't wear tight clothing, and the system is both comfortable and effective at concealment.

ETA: I also have a Theis for a different pistol, and it worked well, too. I hope to order a Stealthgear Onyx soon, but I haven't gotten around to it.

ETA #2: Welcome to TFL.

Good point ^.

Any belt recommendations? I know custom made are probably the best. I'd need it to work with a suit and slacks type of outfit.

I'm a big proponent of having a good belt. When I started carrying, I had a cheap belt. It sagged badly. When I got a good one, it made a world of difference. I have two belts:
1. An Aker B21: http://akerleather.com/off-duty-belts/off-duty-belts/B21/concealed-carry-gun-belt.html
2. A DeSantis Econobelt: http://www.desantisholster.com/ECONOBELT-1-12

For what it's worth, my usual wardrobe also includes lots of suits and slacks/jacket outfits. I chose those two because: (1) they're not obvious gunbelts; and (2) price. I've been very happy with both, and nobody has ever seemed to notice that they're gunbelts.

There are a ton of belt makers out there. The two above are the only gunbelts I've ever had, but here are some of the others that seem to come highly recommended on the gun forums I visit:
The Beltman
Crossbreed
Mitch Rosen
Galco
Bullhide Belts

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

As to belts, keep your eyes open. You never know where you will find a good one. I was in a gun show in Tupelo a few months ago and there was a table there with an old guy who makes and sells belts and a few custom holsters. His belts are seriously thick double layer and stiff - i.e. the kind that will hold up a heavy revolver without sagging. Best part, he was only asking $33 for his belts. Of course, I had to grab one.

Good point ^.

Any belt recommendations? I know custom made are probably the best. I'd need it to work with a suit and slacks type of outfit.

I prefer the Wilderness Tactical Instructors belt, 5-stitch. I own a few and it's what I wear 99% of the time, both for everyday carry and competition. I don't normally tuck in my shirt so the look doesn't matter as much. What's nice about them, other than the stiffness and durability, is that you essentially have unlimited range in adjustability that allows you to tighten it precisely to your liking, versus a leather style belt that only gives you 5 to 7 preset adjustments based on the hole locations in the belt.

Back