Shipping my rifle off for the first time, finding a box?

5RWill

This was supposed to be done two weeks ago but i left it at home (school started) and my parents couldn't get a big enough box to fit my storm case, and there wasn't a UPS location around home that we could send it through. So i brought it back to starkville with me, being there is a UPS customer service center that will ship it for me. Question is will they tailor me a box for my storm case?

Last edited:
Go by a local gunshop and ask them if they have any old boxes that guns were shipped to them in. When they receive guns most are in an inner box, which goes to the customer with the gun inside. There is a very slighlty larger outer box with shipping labels that they usually just throw away.

So they can't fit one to my specifications? Or the wont have one big enough for the storm case? I tried to find the box that my storm case came in but had no luck.

I've never done anything by mail, but this OP leads me to a question.

If a firearm is being sent by a private carrier (like FedEx) from one place to another in the same state, do you need someone with an FFL on either or both ends?

Blackops, if you still haven't found one head over to your nearest Office Depot or Staples and talk to the warehouse guy. The boxes that their particle-board book shelves come in are about 8 inches wide x 2 inches thick by 6 ft long. When you cut the length down, they make acceptable rifle boxes. I used one to ship a muzzleloader I sold.

Woody55 said:
If a firearm is being sent by a private carrier (like FedEx) from one place to another in the same state, do you need someone with an FFL on either or both ends?

Private/common carrier (UPS, FEDEX, etc) or USPS - it makes no difference under Federal Law - no FFL req'd for am Intrastate transfer, only Interstate.

However, some states and/or municipality may have a law(s) stating differently - anyone would be well advised to first check with their State's Attorney's General information office.

If you can't find one. Lowes or Home Depot will give you large cardboard boxes.Straight edge,utility knife,and packing tape.Make your own. Its easy I've made several when I couldn't find the right size box.

Last edited:
Well went to the UPS store and they put too boxes together and had to buy half a bulk bag of "peanuts" to insured. Man it looks like i'm shipping a table or grader blade or something. It's huge lol.

Back