Shipping insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Insurance protects the seller.
If the item arrives damaged or is lost or stolen it's not the fault of the buyer.
The buyer deserves to get the item in the condition that it was sold.

Insurance protects the seller.
If the item arrives damaged or is lost or stolen it's not the fault of the buyer.
The buyer deserves to get the item in the condition that it was sold.
Right. Shipping is an agreement between the seller and the shipper. The customer is not responsible until it is in their hands.

If it arrives obviously damaged, refuse to accept it from the shipper. The shipper is at fault there and their customer (the seller) needs to get them to refund the shipping cost.

If you don't get what you ordered because it was lost in shipment and the seller refuses to refund you, or if it is damaged and the seller refuses to refund you, contact your credit card. They will void the charge against your credit. That's your insurance.

That said, always deal with the seller first. Give them the opportunity to make it right. When you contact your credit card, they will ask you what steps you went through to work with the seller first.

I noticed one company has two boxes to check at the end of the checkout process. One says I accept shipping insurance (total was $3.80 for one handgun). And the other box to check says I decline shipping insurance. You had to pick one or the other at checkout. They then had a disclaimer that said they were not responsible for items lost or damaged in shipping. So, they have an electronic copy of your denial if you choose no.

Shipping is an agreement between the seller and the shipper. The customer is not responsible until it is in their hands.

NOT always true - all depends on the FOB point
FOB Origin - it is the buyer's responsibility the second it leaves the shipper
FOB Destination - The responsibility belongs to the seller until it hits the receiver's dock

Last edited:
NOT always true - all depends on the FOB point
FOB Origin - it is the buyer's responsibility the second it leaves the shipper
FOB Destination - The responsibility belongs to the seller until it hits the receiver's dock
I'm no lawyer, but I did take a business law class in college. From what I remember, it works like this:

If I purchase an item from you and I arrange for a shipper (UPS, Fedex, Yellow Freight, etc) to come pick it up from you and deliver it to me, then I have made a contract with the shipper who is my agent and shipping is then my responsibility. Once you deliver it to my agent (the shipper) and something goes wrong in shipping, that's between me and the shipper. You have fulfilled your part of our contract by delivering the item in good condition to my agent. Our transaction ends when I have paid you AND you have delivered to my agent (the shipper).

If you arrange shipping, then the shipper is your agent and shipping is your responsibility. You have a contract with the shipper and you have a contract with me. If something goes wrong in shipping, then that is your agent's responsibility. You have to work that out with them, but you still need to complete our transaction or refund my money. Our transaction does not end when you get your money and put the product on the truck. It ends when you get your money AND I get the product in condition as agreed.

Try this some time. Buy something with the seller arranging shipping (let's say UPS). It gets lost or damaged in shipping. Now call up UPS and try to make a claim. They will tell you to talk to the seller because you are not their customer. The seller is. They had a contract with the seller, not you. The seller paid them, not you. If there was insurance to be paid on that shipment, it goes to the seller, not you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back