Shipping handguns

frogsaw

I recently sold a handgun on gunbroker and I'm having trouble finding a method of shipping. I was of the understanding that I could only ship a handgun via FedEX overnight. This will cost $75 and the buyer is saying that I am screwing him. Apparently he thinks that I can ship via USPS for $25, but I thought that USPS will only ship long guns.

Further more, the handgun being shipped has HiCap mags and the buyer lives in CA. The buyer claims that he has an FFL and a HiCap license. I have not heard of a HiCap license before this. Does anyone have any information about this license?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Have him send you a copy of his FFL and his whatever CA license. Then I think you can ship UPS or FedEx without informing them what's in the box. I would go UPS 2-day air.

Do not under any circumstances mail it yourself via USPS. However, it you know a friendly local FFL who will mail if for you, that would be the cheapest way -- even paying him $10 or so over the postage.

If you are shipping it youreslf it has to go FedEX or UPS overnight next day air to a FFL and yes you have to tell them it's a handgun. Only shipping between FFL's can go USPS priority.

As for the hicap mag license, I'd send it with regular 10 rounders.

That's not what the law actually says, it's just what everybody tells you the law says:

18 USC 922 Sec. 922(e)
"It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;"

An FFL holder is a licensed dealer, so there is no obligation to inform the carrier about the firearm. (But it may cause you problems if you try to file a claim later.) However, if the recipient is not really an FFL you are in trouble. Get a copy of his FFL and ship it to the address on the license.

TheBluesMan said:
I would be very wary of this buyer. I know of no "Hi Cap License" in California. It looks to me like he's trying to get you to do something illegal

There is such a thing in California as a High Capacity Magazine Permit. It is issued to some dealers and allows them to deal in magazines over 10 rounds capacity. They may only sell to out of state customers or to those authorized by California law such as LEOs. Such a dealer will also have an FFL.

Back