Shipping Guns With a C & R

avakadava

Just received a C & R License. I know this has been asked many times,
but can I send a handgun for repair without sending it overnight UPS/
FEDEX? Can I send a handgun with the USPS? Really don't know the legal requirements of this.

Any comments or experience with this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

avakadava:...Can I send a handgun with the USPS?...

No.
USPS regulations specifically state that only licnsed dealers and manufacturers may mail or receive by mail, firearms other than rifles and shotguns. USPS does not use the term "FFL".

Your C&R allows you the same shipping/mailing/receiving priviledges as you had before. You can ship rifles & shotguns via USPS/UPS/FedEx. Handguns and other firearms only via UPS/FedEx.

Shipping with a C & R

Thanks everybody for the input.

With a C & R License can I ship handguns on UPS/FEDEX regular delivery or is it required that I send it Air Express Overnight?

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:
avakadava ....With a C & R License can I ship handguns on UPS/FEDEX regular delivery or is it required that I send it Air Express Overnight?
An FFL (of any type) does not grant you exemption from the policies of a common carrier.....they are a business and free to be as restrictive as they want.

Before you ship anything you should study the tariffs (policies) of UPS & FedEx. Fail to follow those policies and in the event of loss, damage or theft you'll get nothing on an insurance claim. And yes it does happen.

UPS
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html?srch_pos=3&srch_phr=handgun

FedEx
http://fedex.com/us/service-guide/terms/index.html

C & R Shipping Requirements

Thanks Dogtown and Earl and all for the information. Some of these laws
are confusing for a simple matter of shipping a handgun,

Again, thank you very much.

Dan

Before you ship anything you should study the tariffs (policies) of UPS & FedEx. Fail to follow those policies and in the event of loss, damage or theft you'll get nothing on an insurance claim. And yes it does happen.

Have you ever heard of anybody being paid an insurance claim by UPS for *any* lost (stolen) or damaged package?

To the original question, when shipping a handgun, your C&R license doesn't really mean much of anything. It means you can *receive* a firearm shipment without going thru a dealer (assuming the firearm meets certain restrictions)

essohbe said:
I've sent pistols in the USPS system before. They don't even care.
Whether the local clerks care or not, it's still a federal crime to ship a modern handgun classified as a firearm via USPS.

A C&R license is all about RECEIVING a certain class of firearms in interstate commerce. It has nothing to do with SENDING firearms of any class or with how firearms are sold, transferred, or traded within a state.

Some states simply do not recognize a C&R license, period. A C&R licensee has exactly the same rights/privileges as a non-licensee.

Jim

With a C & R License can I ship handguns on UPS/FEDEX regular delivery or is it required that I send it Air Express Overnight?

Just remember you C&R is a collectors license and not a license to do business buying, selling,

Back