Shipping gun to factory from Florida...

Mokumbear

If I need to return a gun to it's manufacturer from Florida, will
I need to use the services of an FFL or can I just use whatever shipping service is required (UPS Next Day Air?)

Hate to have to use an FFL coming and going!

Sending the gun to the manufacture for service is one of the exemptions that do not require a FFL (well except for the manufacture). If it is a handgun, you will have to use FedEx or UPS not the USPS. Long guns can be shipped via USPS. You still need to notify the clerk the gun is in the box and it is unloaded.

Sometimes the manufacture will cover shipping for warranty work, which saves you some money and if you have friendly local FFL they may be able to ship it cheaper, even with an extra fee since they do not have to ship Overnight.

You can use UPS next day (their rules) for a handgun. You do have to inform them (orally) it is a gun. It is expensive. A manufacturer can ship back directly to you. A FFL can ship via U.S. Postal Service much cheaper so you may want to check this out.

When I tried to send a Kahr back for repair the girl told me I could not ship it if I didn't have an FFL. I told her it is fine as long as it is going to the manufacturer to be repaired. NO way! She got her boss he got his boss they all agreed I couldn't send it. I went to my gun shop and he sent it in for me for around $25. For that and a few other reasons I don't use UPS for anything.

I think I once shipped a gun UPS overnight. It cost $70. I did not bother informing the people behind the counter- I went straight to the UPS hub to do this. 1. I knew I could expect a problem from the teenager working the counter and 2. Years back, UPS had huge problems with theft of firearms. I'm not sure if the problem continues but I hate to take a chance. If they don't know it is a gun, it's less likely to be stolen. Although then you may run into probelms if it does get lost or stolen and you try to claim insurance. And just before I get accused of breaking the law, breaking UPS's corporate policy ain't no enforceable law.

In the future, I would go through an FFL or I would use FedEx. Both are cheaper.

If at all possible get the manufacturer to send you the shipping label. I have had to send my SA XD back for repairs. They sent the label for FEDEX and I had to return a Marlin rifle and they also sent s shipping label. Any possibility of the manufacturer picking up the tab for shipping?? A real cost saver

SwampYankee said:
I think I once shipped a gun UPS overnight. It cost $70. I did not bother informing the people behind the counter- I went straight to the UPS hub to do this.
The problem is, Federal law requires that you inform the common carrier. So you are now an unindicted felon.

The problem is, Federal law requires that you inform the common carrier. So you are now an unindicted felon.

Not necessarily. At the federal level, it depends on who the firearm is being shipped to. If it's being shipped to "licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors" there is no legal requirement to notify the "common or contract carrier" that it's a firearm. Certainly there would likely be issues if the firearm were lost or damaged and a claim was filed with the carrier but there would not be a legal issue unless there was a pertinent state or local law.
18 USC 922(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

I live in Florida and have shipped pistols to Ruger and to Springfield. Both times I shipped via FED EX and had no problem. When I told the girl at the counter I was shipping a handgun she said fine and didn't even bat an eye. Springfield actually sent me a shipping label via e-mail.

If you live in Florida go to the FED EX center and ship to the factory. No problem at all.

The terms of carriage all require notification so the common carrier can comply with Title 27, Part 478.31(d)
(d) No common or contract carrier shall knowingly deliver in
interstate or foreign commerce any firearm without obtaining written
acknowledgement of receipt from the recipient of the package or other
container in which there is a firearm: Provided, That this paragraph
shall not apply with respect to the return of a firearm to a passenger
who places firearms in the carrier's custody for the duration of the
trip.

Of course the BASTFE letter going around only answered the exact question asked.
Federal law does not require notification if the gun is going to an FFL (and ALL manufacturers are FFLs).

The letter does not address how the common carrier is going to comply with (d) above if notice is not given.
The common carrier is likely off the hook legally since they can deny knowledge if not told of the contents.
They of course would like to avoid any chance of being hauled in to court though, so they all require notice be given as part of the terms of carriage.

Back