shipping gun powder ?

rebs

Is it legal to ship smokeless gun powder to a son that lives in a different state ?
Can I go to UPS or Fedx and ship it ground ?

All smokeless powder needs to be shipped with a HazMat sticker on it and there are limitations regarding on the amount and container type, etc. To ship a minimum amount (I think the max amount is around 40lbs in one container) costs about $48 in HazMat fees. You can't do it yourself unless you're certified to ship Hazardous Material. Basically, the answer in no. If you get caught doing it, it's a felony. I wouldn't even consider it. You can easily get all the info on this simply by googling "shipping smokeless powder" or "shipping hazardous material".

You CAN do what ever you want the legality of it would be the ?
and as indicated above it is not doable by an unlicensed person.
By the time you go to someone haz mat certified and pay for packaging and shipment your expense makes it illogical.

Why doesnt be just buy some locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess he will have to order some from dealer or wait til I go down for a visit
Is it legal to transport it in my suv ?

Do you already have the powder? If not, then why not order the powder and have it shipped to him? If you do simply taking it to him on your next visit could be dangerous and illegal as far as local ordinances and individual state laws, not to mention the various fire codes. What they are most concerned with is if your vehicle is involved in an accident and catches fire. If you do decide to take it to him check with your local fire department to find the safest way to do so.

I wouldn't be concerned in the least about transporting it myself as long as it is in the original container. Unless you're talking about a large amount of powder, I don't know anywhere where it's illegal to possess smokeless powder. Maybe in D.C. or NYC. They're kind of weird with their laws. Even here in NY you can drive around with it....that's how you get it home from the store. If it's legal to sell in that state, it's got to be legal to transport it....in reasonable quantities.

Thank you for the replies. I can see its best to just pay the hazmat fee or pick it up in person.

Unless you have a friend that can ship Hazmat...
The best way for a private party to ship smokeless powder to any other party is by loading it in ammunition, in order to change the classification of the shipment.

Even Hodgdon has customers do so, when questionable powder is discovered and Hodgdon wants a sample for testing.

As stated, unless you are set up as a hazmat shipper you don't want to go that route. Current hazmat fee is 28-30, not 48. If someone is paying 48 in hazmat fees from a shipper, they are being ripped off.

Take a nice drive and deliver it in person (assuming the state has no restrictions)

Get on Google and look for the closest Cabella's or Jays Sporting Goods store in his state. Driving 100 miles to buy it is cheaper than sending it legally.

Back