shipping firearms to FFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rules as I understand them is person to person sales are allowed, even if they are from different States. Now, if a person purchases a firearm with the intent of selling it to another party, regardless of State of residency, that is against the law. Now, for those young people making astro bucks, listen here. You can purchase a firearm and gift it to your Dad for Xmas. ;) Gifting a firearm is perfectly legal.

Robert

Gifting maybe federally legal. But doesn't all the state laws still apply? Such as the waiting period, background check, ...etc?

If you are asking whether an interstate transfer of a firearm requires a FFL at the shipper's end, call the ATF. (It is clear that it is required at the receiver's end.) I have seen posts saying that it does not and posts saying that it does. The statute, the Code of Federal Regulations, and the ATF website are confusing on this point.

[This message has been edited by Cawdor (edited November 26, 1999).]

My question is this. Im going to N.C next month for 14 days to visit my family. I am flying and would love to ship my sig there so when i arrive i will be able to go target shooting with the guys in the family that also have handguns. I have a FEDEX account at work and the shipping would be free for me. Does FEDEX allow the shipment of fireararms and if so what are the procedures?

Do the airlines allow firearms on board as baggage if they are locked and with no ammo being shipped with it?

I understand I will probably have to speak to a FEDEX rep. to find out the labeling rules, but any info from the pros at TFL is appreciated.

(seriously doubting any airline is going to allow firearms on board)

------------------
TIM : )

Anyone can ship a rifle, shotgun or handgun across a state line to an FFL dealer, and anyone can ship a C&R across a state line to a C&R (collectors) FFL holder. But arrangements should be made with the dealer so he expects the shipment, and you will need a signed copy of his FFL. Some dealers will not accept shipments from non-FFL holders under any circumstances and that is their prerogative.

As to taking gun on plane, check with the airline. Target shooters take their guns all the time and most airlines accommodate them. Some airlines will no do so.

Alternatives are driving, with gun unloaded and locked in trunk.

As for other shippers, like FedEx, ask them. If you are going to ship on a company account, better clear with the company first (unless you own the company), as some outfits consider misuse of their shipping accounts a firing (pun intended) offense.

Jim

Carrying firearms on an airline is leagal as long as you FOLLOW THE RULES.
(1) unloaded
(2) no ammunition may be checked - period-
(3) when checking your bag - say I am checking a handgun.
(4) They will ask you standard questions that amount to little other than you answer them, un-loaded? etc.
(5) they may or maynot ask to see the firearm.
(6) They will then place a very visable lable on the bag that says FIREARM
(7) it will then be sent to the hole with the rest of the baggage.
(8)ASK THEM EXACTLY WHERE TO PICK UP THE FIREARM AT THE OTHER END. IT WILL NOT GO TO THE CARROSEL.
(9) DONT EVEN THINK THAT ONE SINGLE CARTRIDGE IN YOUR BAGS OR ON YOUR PERSON WILL BE TOLERATED....GET THE STUFF AT THE OTHER END.
(10) CALL THE AIRLINES AHEAD OF TIME AND RE-VERIFY THE RULES. All airlines have postings right at the ticket counter as to what the drill is.READ THEM.

TGS - your post is not entirely correct. Since July of '94 FAA has prohibited the airline from attaching the blaze orange "steal me" tag (says "FIREARMS UNLOADED") to the suitcase handle. The tag must now go INSIDE the checked luggage. The gun must be in hard-sided luggage or in a hard case inside soft luggage. (The tag was originally an airline requirement, not an FAA rule.) Back in '94 I 'trained' several ticketing agents at the counter when they tried to make me tag the handle. I showed them a copy of the new rule and then asked to speak to their supervisor, who disappeared behind a closed door, phoned someone, and returned red-faced and in agreement with me. After a few weeks all the employees seemed to learn the new rule. Any person may carry unloaded firearms in checked luggage within the 50 states. If you encounter a problem, ask to speak to the ground security coordinator, who is best qualified to resolve any misunderstanding you or the airline employee may have. Any airline who will not adhere to the FAA rules will not receive my business. I seldom fly anywhere without declaring an UNLOADED HANDGUN in my checked luggage. You may carry the ammo in a separate checked bag. Although I'm not sure it is required, I also declare the ammo.

back to my original question, according to Jim Keenan (and thanks for the info) "Anyone can ship a rifle, shotgun or handgun across a state line to an FFL dealer", Aren't all FFL holders requires to log the received firearms in their record books? Is the signed FFL required? What should the seller do with the signed FFL if he is not an FFL?

Since it is a crime to ship a firearm interstate to a non-FFL, a copy of the signed FFL is proof that you acted lawfully. Unless you are certain that the recipient has a FFL, it is a wise precaution.

Thanks for all the info guys. Since its not against FAA rules, are all airlines required to accept firearms? or do they still have a choice. also, which airlines do u know of that accept guns on board? if american airlines does im in good shape. i like them the best.

thanks again.

------------------
TIM : )

Jerky, most airlines accept firearms in checked baggage. The only one I have heard of that does not is PSA in Calif. I have flown AA many times with firearms and the only problem I had was with an anti-gun counter rep at Burbank Airport in Burbank, Ca. FAA regs are one thing, each airline and pilot have their own rules. United requires each gun in a separate case, but then you can put them all into one crate if you want. Some allow 400 rounds of ammo, PER GUN!

Any individual may ship to an FFL, that is how FFL's are able to purchase used firearms from out of state.

You may ship the gun interstate to yourself. Remember that the GCA '68 was only passed because of interstate commerce considerations. So long as you are not transfering ownership it is okay. The only time an FFL can be left out on an interstate transfer is if the firearm was bequethed to you in a will or an estate transferred it to you. In either case interstate commerce did not exist so it is okay.

its easier to ship to your friends or family thru a FFL, airlines will have BATF and all kinds of questions to ask, and if your not
LEO its a hassle, FFL transfers cost a little
but the police appreciate it more and the CLEO will probably be told and he'll know the folks and your shooting sessions will be hassle free.:}

I just went through this argument with my local FFL and nowhere could he show me in the ATF regs that I could not ship to a out of state FFL myself (I am not a FFL). UPS rules will not let you if you read the fine print unless you are shipping to a manufacturer or FFL for repair or modification. Two large net gun auctions have different views. Gunbroker says you can't and Auctionarms says you can.

The ONE AND ONLY way to determine whether something is allowed by the ATF is to call their toll free number in D.C. and ask for a clarification. Otherwise, you will get a confusing mixture of misinformation and be more confused than when you began. ATF does not retain records of these calls and they are free. You do not have to be an FFL holder to ask for a clarification.
An alternative would be to (if you fly) ship your gun by Greyhound package delivery service. First, call your insurance agent and obtain a "floater" policy that is all risk to cover your guns (this is if you are not an NRA member who already has a policy.)
Sorry, when my computer crashed I lost the D.C. phone number. Call your local ATF and ask for the D.C. number. Expect some delays and wrong connections until you get to the right clarification expert. When you get through, post the number here so we can can all have it in our Rolodex.

Tom B, right you are about UPS, I always just tell them I am sending it to a gunsmith for an action job. I have had problems with FFL holders who don't know the rules. A quick call with a complaint to the ATF regional office over the FFL's area has always been very effective. The dealer gets a call from the regional office wondering why he told someone that he could not accept a shipment and if he has an FFL he should know the rules that govern it. If a dealer does not want to handle a transfer or sell 'assault weapons' that is one thing, to lie about it and tell a customer it is illegal makes me worry how many stupid people ATF issued licenses to that they shouldn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back