shipping firearm to my son

roogerman

Inactive
Is it legal to ship a firearm (handgun) to my son in another state. He is not a resident of the state I'm shipping to. He is qualified to purchase a handgun in his/my state of residence. His only option to receive it would be a UPS store near the community where he is camping. He is heading into grizzly country and the gun would provide some means of protection.

I cannot think of any way for him to legally take possession of the firearm.

Depending on the state, it may be possible for him to borrow a firearm from a friend.

What state is he in?

shipping firearm to son

bluesman thanks for the reply.
Your response confirmed what I have found so far.
He's in WY right now and headed for grizzly country in MT.
I'll pass your suggestion on to him.

+1 to bluesman. Without a state ID from the state he's in, there's no way to receive a firearm via an FFL. Nor can he go buy one. Any other method would be illegal.

I had a friend who went bear hunting in Alaska, and I think he said he shipped his rifle to himself via DHL, you might want to explore that route to see if it is possible

If he is still a resident of the same state as you then you can just

give him the gun...

If he is not then technically you need to ship it to an ffl in his state of residence and let him pay a small fee to receive...

or just loan him the gun... the ATF even says guns can be loaned ....

kamerer, glockman, blume357, thanks for replies.
he is already in WY so can't give it to him.
the ffl in WY cannot transfer it to him cause he's not a resident of WY.
hindsight 20-20. Should have had him purchase before he left.

The mission of The Firing Line is to promote responsible firearms ownership. Giving new member "hints" on how to circumvent the law is not supportive of our mission and does not reflect well on firearm owners in general.

Please consider the black eye you are giving us when you try to "help" someone with a legal question.

Two posts have been deleted from this thread. :(

I think it's pretty difficult to get a "common carrier" to ship a firearm to oneself, anyhow. I'd also bet that "family" situations with who opens a package aren't of great concern to BATFE, as family members are generally treated differently for transfers, etc. Please excuse my now-deleted previous post. Meant to be interjecting common sense, not common criminality. ;)

I don't think anyone was trying to figure out how the poster could

break the law... it's just that the laws seem to be blocking what should be a common and easy way of letting a father protect his son.

Father and Son are resisdents of the same state... most likely he can give the gun to his son with out an FFL.... take it from there.

I don't see why you can't give him the gun just because he is in another state or have not already given him the gun last year...

I think we get so locked into this, got to ship a gun to an FFL and there has to be a transfer (paperwork) we sometimes miss the obvious...

Once again before the modirators get their undies all in a wad... I'm not promoting breaking the law.... but their are lawyers out there that get paid to figure out how to 're-interpret' laws.

We aren't discussing how bubba can get his second cousin on this wifes brothers side of the family a gun in WY... but a 'transfer' between a father and son who both live in the same state.

ATF says you can ship a gun to yourself with out an FFL... they also say you can loan a gun to someone with out an FFL...

I'm not a lawyer and have never played one on TV... So,

person asking the question needs to go here and read way down...

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9

Okay, here's a question.

We know that according to the ATF you can ship a gun to yourself.... period thats all they say.

Is it a violation of some federal law to not declair a gun in the package when you do this? Or would you just not be able to claim the insurance if the gun got lost in transit... as a violation of the shippers policy?

They have internal policies that force one of the involved parties to be an FFL.

Can you show me this policy?

It seems to me that the following UPS policy would clearly allow someone to ship a firearm to themselves:

UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

Unregistered. I know that you're correct on the verbiage of UPS's policy, the law, etc. I just think, from having read the experiences of others on this and other forums, that most UPS hubs would give you static about shipping to yourself and not an FFL.

If those guys were as smart as you and I about reading and comprehending the English language, they'd be on our side of the counter!;)

Back