Shipping a Pistol to my Florida Condo

CWSTAG_A3

Inactive
Hello,
Just thinking, can I ship a registerd pistol from New Jersey to my other residence in Florida? I have a 31 state CCW liscense which is valid in Florida but I live in New Jersey where the handgun is registerd. I am flying down and only taking one carry on bag so checking the gun as baggage will be a real hassle.
I Have shipped guns to FFL's thru UPS but not to myself.
Thanks..

(sad NJ resident)

Just address it to yourself and ship it through UPS to your location, but you MUST be the one to open/receive it.

This is specifically discussed in the BATFE FAQ on their web site. You can ship a firearm directly to yourself, without using an FFL on either end. As already pointed out, only you may open the package on the arrival end. (And, of course, you yourself must package the firearm(s) and initiate the shipment on the sending end.)

One thing to consider is the state of New Jersy. New Jersy requires all handguns to be registered IIRC. At some point the state may be interested in the disposition of the firearm. I doubt "I shipped it to myself" would fly. If you went through a FFL there would be an official paper trail.

The practical difficulty I see is who will be receiving the package.

A handgun will need to be sent UPS or FedEx, overnight with adult signature required. Will there be any responsible adult at the OP's Florida residence to receive for an sign for the package and put away unopened, in a secure place, until the OP gets there to open it?

The practical difficulty I see is who will be receiving the package...
I believe there's a very sensible and practical fix for this- IIRC UPS offers a "Hold Package at UPS Hub" option (or something like that, the name of the service may be a bit different). IOW rather than sending it out for delivery, it will be held at the hub until the addressee physically comes to pick it up.

This would normally be a PITA because UPS hubs are usually inconveniently located at commercial airports. However, the OP is presumably flying to a commercial airport. :D
FedEx will not deliver a firearm to a nonlicensee, UPS is your only option.
Also, be aware of some UPS restrictions:
  1. Handguns are required to be sent Next Day Air. I recommend using the "Next Day Air Saver" service; it's cheaper and the only difference is that delivery before 12pm isn't guaranteed.
  2. Handguns aren't supposed to be shipped from drop boxes.
  3. I'm unsure whether you can ship handguns from a "UPS Store" location. Despite their appearance, these stores are franchised rather than company-operated, and they previously weren't allowed to handle firearms. There's a rumor floating around that UPS will now allow them to do it at the discretion of the franchisee, but I can't vouch for the veracity of this.
  4. Bottom line: Ship from the hub to be sure. :)

carguychris:...I'm unsure whether you can ship handguns from a "UPS Store" location. Despite their appearance, these stores are franchised rather than company-operated, and they previously weren't allowed to handle firearms. There's a rumor floating around that UPS will now allow them to do it at the discretion of the franchisee, but I can't vouch for the veracity of this.
Absolutely, positively you cannot ship firearms through a UPS Store.:D

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html?srch_pos=3&srch_phr=handgun
Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via, UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.

Thanks for all the info, I will doublecheck with UPS, then if all ok I will ship the gun the night before I fly to Florida. I will be sure to be at my Florida residence the next day to sign for the package. :)

I know this wasn't the question, but you do realize you can declare and check it in your luggage, right?
Not if he's flying from a NY or NJ airport. Didn't you know that the Port Authority of NY/NJ is exempt from Federal law? Just ask them.

Is this a permanent move or temporary?

That may make a difference.

The rule that you can't ship from is a UPS rule not a federal statute.
My UPS store guy routinely ships my guns.

The cheapest way to ship it is gave your FFL send it. They can use USPS and it doesn't have to go overnight. Your FFL may not want to send it to your Florida residence though.

AFS

Not if he's flying from a NY or NJ airport. Didn't you know that the Port Authority of NY/NJ is exempt from Federal law? Just ask them.
I know what you are saying, but he said the gun was registered to him in NJ. There shouldn't be any problem.

Maestro Pistolero said:
I know what you are saying, but he said the gun was registered to him in NJ. There shouldn't be any problem.
But he didn't say he has a carry permit for NJ (something that's extremely unlikely). Carting your gun to the airport isn't addressed in NJ state law.

Certainly, he's traveling from NJ to FL and that's interstate, so he should be protected by the FOPA. However, so should the gentleman who was arrested by the Port Authority police at Newark Airport a couple of years ago. Given where he is, if it were me I wouldn't put any faith in "There shouldn't]/i] be any problem."

Remember Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.

And then remember O'Connor's Corollary: Murphy was an optimist.

Ok, this is the deal.
I own a condo in Florida but I live and work in New Jersey. Due to the horrible economy and real estate crash in New Jersey I am stuck here in NJ for a few more years. I visit my condo often but it is only for 7 or 8 day stretches. As I already have clothing and personal belongings at my secondary residence, I only take one carry on bag. I have flown with guns to Vegas in the past and I know the TSA rules and regulations as far as flying and checking firearms. Since I have a 31 state carry permit which is valid in Florida It would be nice to have at least one gun there when I am there. No one esle goes in the residence except other family members when I am down there so leaving the gun there it will be safe. If I send it UPS Next day air saver I will be sure not to miss the package when I arrive the next day in Florida. I just need to make sure UPS will deliver on Saturday if I ship it Friday, the day before I fly down. I wil contact them Monday when they re-open .
Thanks again for everyones assistance. ;)

You're aware Florida does not honor a NJ permit.
Nor does it honor ANY non-resident permit.

You are legal to have a gun in your condo or your car properly secured.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Having said that I don't see any reason you can't UPS the gun to your condo.

Just check the UPS hubs on both ends. You will want to send it back to yourself in NJ and that could be a bigger problem.

AFS

AirForceShooter
The rule that you can't ship from is a UPS rule not a federal statute.
My UPS store guy routinely ships my guns.
Which is a violation of the UPS tariff......that your UPS Store guy is not legally allowed to alter. If your firearm shipment gets lost, stolen or damaged UPS will not pay on any insurance claim. (and I'll bet neither would your UPS Store guy). When you ship ANYTHING via UPS (or FedEx) you agree to abide by their terms and conditions....whether you know it or not.

The cheapest way to ship it is gave your FFL send it. They can use USPS and it doesn't have to go overnight.
It might not be cheaper and may be impossible. The New Jersey FFL could only ship or mail to a Florida FFL........meaning the OP would need to pay shipping and transfer fees on both ends and complete a 4473 and NICS to get his gun. If he cannot prove Florida residency he would not be able to acquire his handgun in Florida.

Your FFL may not want to send it to your Florida residence though.
Not unless he wants to lose his FFL and sit in Federal prison.

Back at AFS,
It looks like you are correct sir, Florida does not honor a Florida non-resident CCW license in Florida! A Virginia non-resident CCW license is honored in Florida. Of course nothing is valid in the wonderful Garden state.
I will apply for a Virginia non-resident in the future months and just hold off on shipping a handgun at this time to Florida.
CW

CWSTAG A3 said:
It looks like you are correct sir, Florida does not honor a Florida non-resident CCW license in Florida!
???

I think you are mistaken. The whole purpose of any state issuing a non-resident license or permit is so that non-residents can carry in that state. The fact that a number of other states also recognize the Florida non-resident permit is an unintended consequence. Florida did NOT set out issuing non-resident permits so that New Jerseyites could carry in Pennsylvania. They issue non-resident permits so that New Jerseyites can carry in Florida.

Back