Shilen or Jewell trigger?

BuckWheat

OK folks, help me out. I want to improve the trigger on my Remington 700, and I'm trying to decide if the Jewell trigger is worth twice the price of the Shilen. Any thoughts or opinions? Also, who has the best prices on these? Thanks.

Ditto that question. But also add Timmney(sp?).

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

I have a jewwel on my rem. 700 pss. It has a nice clean break and is easy to adjust.Never tried the other triggers you mentioned, they might be nice, but I think the Jewwel is worth the money.

What emcon5 says. INSHO, 700s have one one the best out-of-the-box triggers (after they've been adjusted). Di it right though & follow ALL safety considerations & checks during & after adjustment.

If you think you aren't mechanically astute to do the job, have a 'smith or real knowledgeable buddy show you/do it for you.

Even though the best safety's between your ears, a badly adjusted trigger can be a real danger.

Make sure it's done right.

Triggers are subjective about ever one has an opinion about what they want in one, The Gold medal winner Jack Writer was fanatic about his trigger while he wasn't concerned about the accuracy of his rifle, He carried a shoe box full of triggers and would stop in the middle of a match and change the trigger. In my opinion I want a trigger to break crisp and clean and the same time ever time
I have every make you can name and I would use in any of them with no preference. Both triggers would serve most people well so let your wallet choose. One side note, a trigger doesn't have to be light to shoot well. One of my BR rifles has a one pound trigger an has won it's share of trophies while I have a three lever trigger on one that is so light you can't feel it before the gun goes off

I went browsing and found this site:
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/1221/guns.htm

Spend a week; it's fun!

Anyway, if you scroll WAY down, you'll come to "triggers". Enjoy. Report back.... :)

I'm extremely happy with a 28-year old Canjar on one of my rifles, and content with a Timney I put on a Ruger 77 Mk 2 or II or whatever. The Canjar is better.

But play with your 700 trigger, first.

FWIW, Art

I'd agree with those who suggest first playing with the stock trigger. I have adjusted a couple different factory 700 triggers and been quite satisfied with them. It is easy to adjust all the creep out, and they break nicely. Not sure what the pull is, but gotta think it's less than 3lbs. Check out those web sites and try it first, you may save yourself some bucks. :cool:

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

I own both of the triggers you refer to and they are in Rem. 40X long range rifles. The Shilen is an improvement over ther factory Rem. trigger, but not by much. The Shilen has a very narrow trigger compared to the wide trigger of the Rem. and that may just be personal preference, but I do like the somewhat wider trigger for it gives you the perception of being "lighter" even though they are both set at slightly over 2 pounds pull. As for the Jewell, mine is a two stage, and can be adjusted down lower than either the Rem or the Shilen and there is no question it is the superior trigger. Again, the weight of the pull is important, but that is not the most vital thing to shooting good scores. My final stage is 1.5 lbs. and it is smooth as butter, but if I do not exercise "trigger control" I will blow the shot. I shoot only long range 6-1000yds, prone, with micrometer sights and the slightest error will really show up out there on the target face when it comes back up. There is the item of cost, and the Jewell for a Rem. will cost you in the area of 200.00 if you want a safety and would imagine you would want one. (some do not use a safety on a match rifle??) I have a Jewell on my match 15, which also an excellent trigger, so you can guess I am rather fond of Mr. Jewell's triggers. If you attend a rifle match and ask around, you will find many of the top shooters using a Jewell trigger. They are expensive, but they work and last a long time. In closing, I do agree that the standard or 40X Rem. trigger can be used quite well with a little tuning and shot one for years before moving to the Jewells.

Gale:

Great to see that you're back. Hope you're recovering nicely.

I've adjusted dozens of Rem. 700 triggers. Most of the folks for whom I adjust triggers are deer hunters. I rarely set one below 3# or so. I do try to get the overtravel and creep out, within reasonable safe parameters. I rap the side of the action pretty hard with a rubber hammer. If the gun fires, it's back-out-on-creep-screw time.

I use a Timney <$60 trigger in my Rem. VS. I have it set at about 1#, which is lower than Timney recommends. I had it set at 10oz, but found it to be too light for my field use. (Shooting flying Democrats...er, I mean, crows.)

Back