Shikara .44 mag

shuvelrider

I was just reading a previous post about the H&R Handi Rifle in .357 someone acquired recently, kind of like what I acquired not too long ago. My LGS had a H&R Shikara Mod-155 on the used rack, these were chambered for .44 mag and 45/70 of all things. Mine is from the early 70's but looks like new, I liked the appearance of the rifle with the wood furniture and cleaning rod under the barrel. So I did some horse trading with some other gun related stuff and took it home, just seemed like a fun type of gun to carry for a walk in the woods. Now that Michigan recently allowed pistol calibers in their shotgun zone for deer, a friend wants to try it for his deer this season. Anyone else have this rifle.

[shi-kahr-ee] /ʃɪˈkɑr i/ noun, plural shikaris. 1. (in India) a person who hunts big game, especially a professional guide or hunter.

My mistake in the OP of the spelling-------Shikari Model 155

I had one about 30yrs ago. I think it had a slightly longer,heavier barrel than my other H&R Topper's (22 Hornet, 30-30). Used to load Hornady's 265gr JSP over a full charge of 2400. That was one really fun gun I wish I'd kept, can't even remember what I horse traded it for.:(

I'd love a rifle like that!

I'm developing a fondness for single shots for some reason. Strange, given my only experience of them is a waif-like 16g that tries to send my shoulder to sometime last week every time I fire it!

Those older H&Rs are pretty good shooting rifles. I have a full stocked Model 157 .22 Hornet and an early .45-70 Buffalo Classic. The last Shikari that I saw for sale was in the late '80s and I regret not buying it, based on my experience with my other two, it would have been a fun, accurate shooter. Plus, I like its looks with the barrel band and cleaning rod.

One of my buddies hunts with same rifle in 45-70 you described. He calls it "The Club". Don't leave home without it.

Jack

Last edited:
Back