Shield upgrade DIY or PC

mendozer

I have a 9mm shield and while I don't actually CCW, it would be my CCW. Recently saw a local listing for a performance center shield for 300. It has a stainless barrel and grip was stippled. Otherwise it's PC stock.

Mine is bare stock, haven't fully committed to adding the Apex kit like my full sized M&P. What I'm curious on is whether the best option is to buy his at 300, then sell mine locally or on GB for say...idk 250? then make a night sight upgrade for a finished product (sights $100)

VS

Keep mine, upgrade to Apex, then night sight. (about $260 extra)

So in other words, is the PC trigger that much better? Because if it's close to Apex then it's cheaper for me to just buy his then add night sights (fiber optic is stupid) assuming I can sell my shield for a fair chunk of change. I know about the ported barrel, but I don't really care about that. Personally I think it's dumb to have a ported barrel on a gun you might be using in a dark situation, potentially up close with someone too. Blinding, gas burn, etc.

The main reason I would not want a ported barrel for ccw is shooting from close retention position. The ports would be directed right at your face!

Maybe i'm lucky, but the trigger on my stock 1.0 shield is just fine.
Also, I don't like the glock like thingy on the apex trigger. I like the smooth faced hinged trigger feel better.

Last edited:
With the advent of the P365 and now the new single Stack Glocks, the selling price of a Shield will suffer a lot. I also see them NIB for $250 so a used one has to be substantially less than that. Great gun and for the $200 it would bring, I would hang on to it.

It sounds like the PC Shield for $300 is the way to go if you want those upgrades.

Around here used Shields are still going for $300 or more. Go figure. I found a LNIB Shield locally for $250 and I don't mind paying that because I don't have to order it and do a transfer and all that.

250 new? Those must be 1.0s. Even buds has the new 2.0s for 350. I bought mine from PSA 2 years ago when it was on sale for like 250 plus S&W had a 75 rebate so I only really paid 175 or so. I guess the ported barrel thing is worse than I thought. My buddy has one, I'll shoot it and see how his trigger is. But I may now lean towards keeping it and slapping some cheap night sights on it with a trigger job

If you did decide to go for the PC shield with ported barrel for all the other reasons, if you didn't like the ports and blast, you could always put in a non ported barrel to change it back to standard.

Agreed, FTF sale for $250 of a 1.0 shield without an apex trigger installed sounds tough.

IMO the apex changes that gun entirely. Love the way it shoots with that trigger.

ok I decided not to bail on it. It hasn't had that many rounds through it (mainly because I don't enjoy shooting it as much as my other guns). I've ordered some "dot the I" night sights and I'll loosen up the internals a bit more with a few hundred rounds before I fully decide to put an Apex in if I do. I've been spending $$$ on a KSG and a P10C lately so upgrading my shield is really low on the priority list. Sometimes I get on a roll and I just want to keep going with these things! Contain yourself! haha

thanks for the tips fellas

ok I decided not to bail on it. It hasn't had that many rounds through it (mainly because I don't enjoy shooting it as much as my other guns). I've ordered some "dot the I" night sights and I'll loosen up the internals a bit more with a few hundred rounds before I fully decide to put an Apex in if I do. I've been spending $$$ on a KSG and a P10C lately so upgrading my shield is really low on the priority list. Sometimes I get on a roll and I just want to keep going with these things! Contain yourself! haha

thanks for the tips fellas
I just put in the Apex sear and the stock trigger became a lot better. At the time I think the sear was under $50. Probably less now.

Back