Shield 9mm Defensive Ammo Test

Mrgunsngear

0js8.png

There are lots of debates out there about what ammo to use in the new breed of short barreled 9mm guns. So, I brought a few loads to test from my S&W Shield 9mm. Here's what I found:

Test conditions:
-S&W Shield with a 3.1'' barrel
-Test rounds fired from 10 feet
-"FBI spec" (Their term, not mine...) Clear Ballistics gel block

Results:

Remington UMC 115gr JHP
-1065 FPS/292 FT/LBS energy
-18.5'' of penetration

Winchester Ranger 115gr JHP
-989 FPS/250 FT/LBS energy
-16'' of penetration

Federal HST 124gr JHP
-990 FPS/270 FT/LBS energy
-13.5'' penetration

Federal HST 124gr JHP +p
-1071 FPS/316 FT/LBS energy
-12'' of penetration

Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p
-1176 FPS/382 FT/LBS energy
-15.5'' penetration

Brown Bear 115gr FMJ (since some folks say you need FMJ out of these guns for 'adequate' penetration)
-1046 FPS/279 FT/LBS energy
-26'' of penetration

To see the test, the results, and the actual expansion of the round when I pulled them out of the gel block check out the video test below:

S&W Shield Ammo Test HD Video Link

Wow thanks! Would be nice if you just posted the expansions you got right here, you know for us 24 kb/s dial up dinosaur fellas ;)

Nice test. So is the intent to have a higher expansion with less penetration for better carry defensive purposes? Or vice versa?

Wow thanks! Would be nice if you just posted the expansions you got right here, you know for us 24 kb/s dial up dinosaur fellas

Sorry, I guess I can chalk that one up to sheer laziness! ;)

Nice test. So is the intent to have a higher expansion with less penetration for better carry defensive purposes? Or vice versa?

There's really no answer to that. It's a personal preference thing at the end of the day. Some folks prefer more penetration, some more expansion and less penetration.

How did you determine the energy from each round? or is that manufacturer's data? wish you could have included Hornady Critical Defense, but you've certainly done a public service ... great video ...

I started out using Blackhills 124+p but lately switched over to Remington Golden Saber 124+p. Any opinions on those?

I assume he calculated the energy based on the velocity he measured.

Correct.

Remington Golden Saber 124+p. Any opinions on those?

Sure. In all the testing I've seen of the Golden Sabers they've performed well EXCEPT in the heavy for weight loads. Particularly the 102gr 380, 147gr 9mm, and the 230gr 45ACP (this one seems to expand consistently but it seems to do so very late in penetration vs other options in the weight/caliber).

The Speer 124gr +p seems to do well in many tests. Is it the round the NYPD uses?

It is.

Other popular 9x19mm/9mmNATO rounds...

Id like to see how other well known 9mm rounds do in the M&P Shield.
The Corbon PowRball & DPX, the Hornady Critical Duty +P 135gr load, the Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP(a popular LE duty round), Golden Saber 124gr +P JHP(bonded).

Clyde

Id like to see how other well known 9mm rounds do in the M&P Shield.
The Corbon PowRball & DPX, the Hornady Critical Duty +P 135gr load, the Ranger T 127gr +P+ JHP(a popular LE duty round), Golden Saber 124gr +P JHP(bonded).

Clyde
______

I'd love for those companies to send me some :D

The CD load will be tested in it---I've got some in my closet so that's quite do-able.

Back